How often are you getting decent breba crops in ground zone 7 DC?

persianmd2orchardJuly 11, 2012

Once they are older trees, does the percent of decently successful breba years skyrocket?

Anyone care to venture an estimate of what % of seasons they get good breba crop here when trees are 3-4 years old and/or when they become older than that?

I managed to get only one great breba fig with some protection on a 4 year old even with the super mild winter due to a late frost. But a friend's fig who has an 18 footer was filled with brebas this season.

Northern VA/DC speaking only of in ground here.

I ask because I'm interested if it's even worth trying to go for having at least one good breba variety in ground here or not.

Is it only worth it if you're going to let your tree get 18 feet high?

If kept at 8 feet high, it gave a good breba crop every other year-- that could be worth it.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
budbackeast(FLORIDA)

Every large fig tree I see has a lot of fruit.

My two year old trees were just transplanted in June and have almost nothing this year. But my family's tree in Louisiana was planted around 1972 or so, and is a steady, heavy producer.

Others in these forums show large trees laden with fruit. So hang in there!

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 8:31AM
stefanb8(z7 MD)

I'm not sure if you're likely to see them except in these very warm winters, from what I've seen and heard. No matter how many brebas form in the fall, only a very mild winter will allow them to overwinter successfully; I don't see it happening on older trees any more than younger ones but will start keeping better tabs on this. I don't think we've been seeing these kinds of winters with any great frequency in the past; time will tell if they happen more regularly in the future. The winter prior to this one the temperature was in the low single digits, and that is more typical for the overall climate.

I had some breba fruit on several of my young (2-3 years old) trees this year and found it to be less than exceptional compared to the main crop fruit I've been getting, for whatever it's worth. It may be variety dependent to some extent.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 7:09AM
persianmd2orchard

Thank you so much appreciate the input.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 8:04AM
foolishpleasure

I am 25 miles east of DC I never got any breba of my fig trees.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 3:07AM
jacklord(7A)

Colleague of mine in NoVa has a large fig tree and brought me some giant figs from it 2 weeks ago. Quite tasty.

Would that constitute a breba?

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
Black Jack fig not growing side limbs
I purchased 2 two gallon Black Jack Figs from Walmart,...
jeremie428
Rooting Question
Hello All - I am trying to root some fig cuttings....
briana_2006
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
Need to know what kind of fig tree this is!
I am hoping someone may know the variety of this fig...
Shelly Holmes
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™