Weeping white pine fall colors?

northwest_bartmanOctober 5, 2007

We purchased a weeping white pine this year, and it has been doing well. However, with fall here now many of the needles are turning yellow. We called the nursery where we bought the tree, and they said this is normal. After doing some online searches, I'm not convinced. Can anyone tell me if this is something to be expected? Everything else with the tree looks healthy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quirkyquercus

Yes it is normal but all the needles shouldn't be yellow... just a lot of them. And truthfully its a bit on the extremely early side for that IMO

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 7:29PM
treelover3

On newly planted conifers the loss of inner/older needles can be more pronounced. In future years, the needle loss will coincide with all of the other conifers in the area that are similar.

Not to worry, it is normal though it might be more excessive this year than in future years since the plant was just put in the ground this year.
Mike

Bookmark   October 5, 2007 at 9:28PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

INTERIOR yellowing is normal ... there is much more in stress years related to high heat and/or drought... and very common in transplant year .... 2 pix below .... keep it deeply and properly watered for the rest of this fall and all next year ... let us know if you don't know what proper watering is ..

the key is the buds for next season ... do they look OK ... if they are turning black.. or mushy ... that branch is dead ....

good luck .. ken

normal

not normal

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 9:23AM
northwest_bartman

I want to thank each of you for taking the time to respond.. I feel much better about it now, and will watch it through the winter.

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 1:07PM
quirkyquercus

Ken is that a Vanderwolf's Pyramid?

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 8:26PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

weird.. i named the photo .. simply fall yellowing on Pinus .... i usually insert the Latin name in the pix name.. for just such queries ...

and i don't recognize it.. horror ... lol .. so i presume it is a P strobus.. which was removed ... $2 wallyworld purchase ... who knew.. back then .. they can grow 3 to 5 feet a year ... lol ...

had to get rid of 5.. to make room for more dorfs ... who needs another green giant.. lol .. just kidding guys... ken

Bookmark   October 7, 2007 at 9:38AM
More Discussions
What tall conifers for north side of house ?
I live in zone 5a. The north side of my century home...
Erika
Coastal Redwoods in cold climates
Hi everyone, I am in desperate need of advice as my...
yesseniatr
Black Hills Spruce SNEED, Rhizosphaera and spider mites
I have lot of spruce trees with sneed, Rhizoshaera...
Minnesotatrouble
Leyland Cypress in containers? What can I do with them?
(Zone 7a - Northern Virginia. Winter temperatures usually...
mayurkirti
Yellow variegated Thuja cultivar at local box store!
Great, now EVERYONE is going to own one lol. Saw this...
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™