Successful Getting Daylily Seeds in Zone 3?

del_sJuly 14, 2009

Just wondering if anyone out there has tried, successfully, to do their own daylily crosses in zone 3. Do first frosts end the seed ripening process or can they stand a few mild frosts? If you have been successful, what varieties did you use? We have Extra Early to Midseason varieties and are hoping to try our own crosses this year.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

I have Stella De Oro everblooming day lilies. Last year, for reasons I won't go into I stopped deadheading after doing the first big flush of flowers. I dug and amended the soil in early spring. When I went through it just before planting I pulled out several amall shoots of them that must have grown from dropped seed.

I'd say go ahead--nothing ventured nothing gained

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 7:49AM
cmmwiebe

You should by all means give it a try. I am on the north side of Saskatoon and have recovered seed from my daylilies here which are now in their second year and I am hoping at least one will bloom before fall! If you have late bloomers or late seed setting maybe you can make some kind of frost shelter for the plant till it can finish off.

Clayton

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 8:42AM
explorer_mb(z1b MB Canada)

Hi there,

I've hybridized my own seed as well, here in Zone 1B... the seedlings are growing as we speak and are waiting to go into a new seedling bed... from what I've read on the gardening forums and chats, if you are going to get some light frosts, just cover them for the night and uncover them the next day, so they can still get the sun... if you are going to get a very hard frost, you can cut them and put them in a vase with some water, putting them outside in the sun during the day for at least a couple of weeks more and hopefully they'll have matured enough (pod opens on it's own or with a gentle squeeze)... always change the water frequently...

Rob

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
What variety of Rose might survive in Mid Coast Maine?
I recently moved to Mid Coast Maine (I'm @ 1/2 hour...
mao53
Heat Mats
How many of you use a heat mat for seed germination? Our...
nutsaboutflowers
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™