I Can't Stop my Yarrow !

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)July 20, 2012

I've complained about it before, but the stupid white yarrow in my yard, that came in without being invited, is still spreading.

Should I give up and plant some red yarrow in with it?

Do you think I could learn to like it with red and white mixed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Lol!!! You sound like me with my painted daisies! I also have white yarrow taking over the front flower bed but then the monster mugo pine that Dad planted there when it was just a little itty bitty Christmas tree has pretty much taken over the rest of the bed. I pull a little of the yarrow every year just to keep it in check and now it looks nice with the tiger lilies and other dark red lilies that are finally spreading. Maybe planting some red in there will look good. True Canadian colors! :)

Ginny

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 4:12PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Come to think of it, i used to have a really nice red one. Wonder where it went... LOL

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 5:47PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

I thought my yard was invaded with yarrow and have been cursing it, but on closer inspection I think it's actually those horrible Marguerite daisies. Awful awful weed whatever it is.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 11:27PM
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

I planted yarrow achillea summer pastels but removed it many years ago. It self sowed and the seedlings are still growing in the lawn against a chain link fence sort of in a tight spot behind a rugosa rose. It's blooming this year. I thought I pulled it out last year but I guess not. Pretty aggressive and weed like.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 1:22PM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

How deep do you suppose I'd have to dig to get rid of the darn yarrow?

It's growing around my beloved Amur Maple, and in the lawn.
I don't want to damage the tree as it's just finally gotten established and is looking awesome this year =:)

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 6:04PM
weeper_11(2b SK)

Oddly enough, I have never had trouble with yarrow spreading any more than a well behaved amount of natural growth. No self seeding, no nothing. Weird! I have a bright yellow one with greyish leaves and a reddish purple one with fringy green leaves.

If it is so hard to get rid of, I'd probably just keep pulling it to keep it in check and deal with the rest. Or spot spray with round up.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 9:01AM
kr222(6b)

Could it be queens Anne lace, not yarrow.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 7:29AM

Funny that this thread should pop up now. I was going to post about getting rid of my yarrow too, finally. It just gets to be such a big mess, and yes, seeds all over. This is Summer Pastels, if i remember - pretty, but i'm getting tired of "pretty but weedy", and i have a heck of a lot of stuff like that!

This is what it looks like now.

Out it goes!

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 8:01AM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

It was suggested by someone here that I can apply round up with a paintbrush. It is working very well for me especially on hard to pull things like quack grass. Maybe it would work for you.

SCG

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 12:38PM

It's a thought. I guess it's just that parts of my garden are making me mad with all the invasive stuff and i'm on the warpath!

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 12:55PM
ostrich(3a AB)

Hmm..... I must confess that I am not a fan of achillea either! I think that red and white would look better together.

How about mixing the white achillea with some black-eyed Susan and purple cone flowers?

I must say that the red ones do look a bit more refined than the other ones.... at least in my eyes anyway! LOL

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 12:37AM

The red ones are a lot "tamer" than the others. Mine hasn't spread or clumped up at all.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 8:50AM
More Discussions
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™