Celeste making figlets....now????

terrisoflaJuly 26, 2010

I planted a Celeste the first week of May this year. It produced two figlets by the end of May. I was glad because I've never tasted a fresh fig, and am catching fig fever just by reading all of your posts. Anyway, one figlet fell off about 10 days ago and now the little tree is producing more figlets. I thought Celeste only had one crop (no brebas). Is it normal for them to make figlets at this time of year?

Terri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
genecolin(Zone 9, LA)

I would think that because it a newly planted tree it doesn't have it's seasons correct. In your zone Celeste should have just about all ripened by now. After it goes dormant this winter it will wake up with the right timing for figs next year.
"gene"

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 1:19PM
noss(Zone 9a Lafayette, LA)

Well... My Celestes are still putting on figlets and still ripening others. They will have figs until they dry up in the fall. Does this mean I don't have Celestes? The eyes stay green until just before the figs ripen and the trees start spitting off their figs when it get very hot and dry, so they act like Celestes. They look like Celestes and they taste like Celestes. They've done this since I got them. How about your Celestes, Gene, are there no more figs on them?

Vivian

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 1:05AM
genecolin(Zone 9, LA)

I sorry to say but no. It has been picked clean by me and the birds, but I got more than them this year. For a tree that I tried to kill and dig up it did well this year. Perhaps I scared it into thinking that I meant business, which I did. No use in having a tree that made a dozen figs about the size of a marble.

Now my yellow unknown, that's another story. It continues to put on new fruit until the first frost or light freeze. By the way someone gave me a clue as to what it might be. He said it looked like a White Texas Everbearing and it behaves just like what it's described as, who knows. It makes you wonder how a nursery could mix it up with a LSU Gold.
"gene"

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 5:48AM

Gene,

I think you were the one I was thinking of when I saw pictures of another yellow fig someone posted. Maybe they are the W TX Es. They look like really nice figs. They have a closed eye, it looked like, anyway.

Now, you KNOW you can't kill a Celeste tree by just trying to kill it and dig it up--You have to drown them. ;)

Vivian

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 5:14PM
terrisofla

So does that mean they are starting too late and I won't get to taste any, or do I still have a chance to maybe taste one since I'm in Fort Lauderdale area?

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 8:56AM
genecolin(Zone 9, LA)

Vivian, I was checking on a small tree in the shade my mulberry tree and passed by my Celeste. I noticed the leaves were drying and showing signs of rust and going dormant. Then when I got to the other side I found some branches that were growing and green with new leaves and new figs. Go figure.
"gene"

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 10:41AM

Hi Terri, You just may get to eat a fresh fig from your Celeste before it goes dormant, especially if you're in zone 10. Keep watering it and see what happens, unless you are getting regular rain, that is.

Well, there ya go, Gene! I hope you get to have a few more Celestes before dormancy. I'm still watering my trees because it's so hot and dry. Celeste, out back is ripening a few more and they should be ready soon, maybe tomorrow. I still have the bird netting up.

Vivian

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 2:23AM
More Discussions
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
site and variety selection
hi, all, I'm new to California and am excited to try...
emmers_m
Figs not growing further after fruit set?
I bought three fig trees (Adam, Cape Brown and White...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Easy propagation method
I may have posted this before but I've read a number...
leon_edmond
looking for smoche fig cutting
Hi, I got a smoche fig plant from a guy in NC a few...
chickenfeedfarm
Sponsored Products
Celeste Home Ultra Soft Solid Brown Flannel Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Sample-Celeste Autumn Fest Glass Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Dynamic Rugs Rugs Celeste Silver/Beige 8
Home Depot
Celeste Pine Console
Overstock.com
Celeste Comforter Set
$89.99 | zulily