Chia as a crop

jgrassFebruary 21, 2013

Has anyone tried growing chia as a garden crop in Florida? Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shear_stupidity(9B)

I didn't exactly grow this as a crop "on purpose." I bought Chia seeds at a local health food store, soaked them and spread them onto a ChiaPet for fun. They grew quickly and then started to decline. So I peeled the "coat" off the ChiaPet and laid it on the ground in my garden. It grew so fast! It got dappled sun from early morning until around noon or so. Nothing here seemed to bother it (pests, disease, etc...)

Very easy to grow, as long as you soak the seeds first. A friend of mine tried to get his ChiaPet to grow faster, so he skipped the soaking and just wet the seeds and spread them onto his "pet." The difference was shocking! Definitely soak!

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 8:45AM
shuffles_gw

shear, when did you plant? did they flower and make seeds? how big did they get? how long to maturity? The way you describe it, they started out very thick. Did most survive to maturity of did they "self-thin".
Does anyone else have any information? From what I found, the end of the hurricane season would be the time to plant. One site I found recommended 1/4 cup of seed per square foot. That sounds like a lot to me. They supposedly get up to two feet tall.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 4:04PM
shear_stupidity(9B)

I spread them on the chia pet probably in April I'd guess. About 2-3 weeks later, I laid the "pelt" on the ground and watered it for maybe 3 days (because I didn't expect it to work!)
They did eventually die of "self thinning." Before that, they grew to about 18 inches tall, very lush and beautiful. No flowers (that I saw/was aware of), and no "volunteers" this year... though I disturbed that area quite a bit, on purpose, this year. I personally feel they weren't getting enough sun.
I wish I had more information, but I hope this adds something for you!

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Lubbers!!!
I can't believe it, I've got lubbers hatching today....
katkin_gw
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
What's a Native?
I've been watching Gardening Australia lately and it...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Mystery tree
Has small silvery/gray leaves, almost furry looking......
roselady35
Pics of recycle pipe and my garden
Hello to all of my gardening friends! This past year...
organic_elizabeth_b
Sponsored Products
Quartermain Door Knob & Plate Set - Privacy and Passage
Signature Hardware
Centurion Ceiling Lamp Translucent
ModernistLighting.com
Retro-Inspired Motor Lodge Art Print
$28.99 | Dot & Bo
8'x10' Hand Knotted Crop Thin Washed Out Salmon Oushak Oriental Rug Sh19283
1800 Get A Rug
MILK | 4MILK Table Desk
YLiving.com
San Chias Black Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Genesis Cold Frame Seed Starte
Overstock.com
Centurion Pendant Light
LBC Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™