Golden Threadleaf Cypress?

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)July 23, 2013

Does anyone have one? (Chamaecyparis pisifera Filifera Aurea) Are they hardy at all?

I bought one on sale because I needed some random cheap evergreens - I'm not fond of evergreens so I don't care which ones I have, LOL. The tag on this says Zone 5. Maybe it'll survive below the snow line? Any experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Doesn't look like anyone has one, I'll let you know if it's still there in the spring!

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 12:24PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

In case anyone is wondering, the cypress looks perfect this spring. It was buried in snow and has no brown ends.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 9:06AM
wayne

I just did a bit of a search on these plants, some varieties they say zone 3 and were U.S. nurseries. I have kept from planting cedars because of the deer, I wonder how much deer like to eat false cypress. They would make a nice low hedge.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 2:03PM
twrosz

I tried one a few years ago, it was planted on the north side of the house and was well covered with snow during the winter, though come spring, it was mostly all browned off expect for some inside growth close to the ground :(

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 6:21PM
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Had the variety known as 'sungold' at my old house. Sunny flower bed but protected with a fence nearby. The area received great snow cover in winter and I watered regularly as I planted flowers around it. It always survived just fine. When I moved it was about 2 feet wide but 18 inches high. It's pretty slow growing. It became more 'weeping' as time went on. Some sites say it can get up to 10 feet, I wouldn't depend on that but it's nice in a flower bed as a lower growing conifer. The sungold one, at least, would probably take forever to make a hedge but the plant is good as a novelty in a flower bed instead of the usual juniper or cedar.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
Magnolia xloebner "Spring Welcome"
Hi, Does anyone know where to get this Magnolia in...
pricklypoppy
Muckle Plum
This is an interesting ornamental landscaping tree...
ziggro
Canada's Quest to Breed Super Hardy Roses Article
I came across this interesting article on the rose...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Toka plum almost ready to flower in calgary
Like the title says today I was doing my pruning for...
mattpf
Has anyone tried bale gardens?
Due to my rampant quack grass this summer I took out...
CLBlakey
Sponsored Products
Cypress Wet White One-Light Pendant
$398.00 | Bellacor
Accent Rug: Angelo:HOME Golden Ochre 2' x 3'
$77.97 | Home Depot
Iron Jewelry Box Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
Golden Bamboo Side Table
$129.99 | Dot & Bo
Preston Drum Pendant by Feiss
$510.00 | Lumens
Safavieh Handmade Golden Jaipur Green/ Rust Wool Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™