What Cut Flowers Do you Have?

cindysunshine(5b)July 4, 2010

That was such a great idea from a few weeks ago I want to thank the cottage gardener who posted it - thank you!

So pretty - so easy. I love zinnias. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
natal(Louisiana 8b)

I love having fresh flowers on the windowsill. When there's nothing to pick from the yard I'll buy a cheap bouquet at the grocery store and divide it up.

This is Friday's pic. I added a purple Cat's Whisker this morning.

Zinnias, coneflowers, BE Susans, Cosmos & Cat's Whiskers.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 1:28PM
Oakley

Natal and I do our flowers that way. Much prettier than putting them in one large vase where you have to cut a lot of flowers.

I need to go cut some right now! Zinnias and Coneflowers, along with Tickseed (the large variety) are good.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 1:34PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Does anyone cut Tithonia? I've cut 2 this past week and they didn't last more than a day. I thought they were supposed to be good cut flowers. Is there a secret?

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 1:39PM
cindysunshine(5b)

Yes Natal - I could not find that post with your name in it!

I grew tithonia many years ago and seem to recall the same problem with cutting it. Strange. I really need to grow it again as it's so good for the butterflies and hummers.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 1:45PM
cindysunshine(5b)

Just found this - so they are rather like poppies. I haven't cut poppies or grown the annual ones for awhile but I used to do them this way...

Tithonias make good cut flowers as long as the hollow stems are seared after cutting and plunged into 100 degrees Fahrenheit water.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 1:47PM
Oakley

Cindy, is that a purple Zinnia you have? If so, I'm going to grow them next year.

Natal, I love the tall amber vase on the left. I never thought about buying one of thse bouquets at the store to divide up. Will do it next time!

I looked in my windowsill and only had one flower on it so I cut some more just now. They're still the same but this time I cut a Lantana flower (on the left) to see how long they'll last in water.

BTW, this is a good way to use our old jars and keep them clean and dusted at the same time. lol

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 2:01PM
cindysunshine(5b)

What absolutely charming kitchens you both have. :)

Yes that actually is a purple zinnia - I ordered the big Bennary ones which are the most spectacular (the red and orange above). The pink and purple ones I just picked up locally. There is nothing quite like zinnias for sheer summer appeal.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 4:04PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

Cindy, thanks for the tip about tithonia. I'll try it next time.

Oakley, I never had luck using lantana as a cut flower. I think I found all of those vases at Pier 1 through the years ... usually end of summer sales.

I grew a few of the Benary zinnias this year too. Cameron mentioned them last year. My favorite has been Uproar Rose. I just seeded some of the purple ones a couple weeks ago in an area where I yanked out a patch of cosmos.

Here is a link that might be useful: zinnias at Johnny's

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 4:31PM
dyhgarden(7b)

I LOVE Benary's Giant Zinnias!

This year, though not for cutting, I'm also growing a few short Magellan's around my sundial--huge blooms on short stems. I can already tell that I'm going to love these. I have yellow and white Magellan with salvia 'Victoria Blue' and my usual Giant zinnias in behind the salivas (including Black & Blue) in the cottage garden.

We've had so much heat and no rain. I had planted huge swaths of zinnias and celosia to test with the deer. Although the deer haven't ventured in to eat anything, it's been all I can do to get a few plants going in this summer heat wave.

I cut a lot of flowers in the spring - yarrow, Dutch irises, chives, nepeta, allium for vases.

Again, the heat has kept me from cutting much except gladiolus and the coneflowers which seem to last forever inside.

Cameron

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 4:55PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

I try to grow cut flowers. It's been a bit of a frustrating year for that this year. We had a great spring, I let the spring flowers do their thing and seeded too late when the temps got high so things didn't do well. I thought Yvonne's Salvia would be a great one this year, but mine are only 3" tall and not getting taller?
I do however have GIANT pink zinnias! Big as a saucer, from Baker Creek. I will definately grow these again. Another fave of mine are the lime green zinnias, and the taller gomphrenas.
I also use many perennials as cut flowers - and leaves. I love leaves for cutting!

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 5:59PM
lois(PA Zone 6)

Few roses, some hydrangea "Blushing Bride" and soon will have hydrangea "Little Lamb". I also have some echinacea but have not cut any for bouquets yet. I save tall narrow jars that fit in my car's cup holder so I can have fresh flowers on my desk at work.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 6:10PM
Oakley

Natal, are Zinnias easy to grow from seed? I mean really easy like Cosmos?

If so, then I'm going to order the one's from Johnny's that you ordered. What stunning colors!

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 8:29PM
dyhgarden(7b)

I have planted the Benary's Giant 'Salmon Rose' with the 'Lime' and those seedling look strong and healthy like they will make a nice swath.

The Benary's 'Orange' is looking good with orange cosmos and stick verbena for a purple-orange mix.

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 9:21PM
natal(Louisiana 8b)

are Zinnias easy to grow from seed? I mean really easy like Cosmos?

Yup. Barely cover the seed with soil.

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 11:19AM
kathi_mdgd

Ihave several different hydrangeas,zinnias,cosmos,roses,alstromeria,poor mans orchids,,dahlias.daisys,different colors and kinds(daisies that is).I'm sure there's more but my brain isn't co-operating with me today!!LOL
Kathi

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 4:57PM
organic_kitten(8)

Right now I have two gardenias (my bush is putting out one or two every day or so. I love it! Shasta daiseys, Coconut lime cone flowers, pink coneflowers, and pink roses in the little square vase. I have calla lilies and one day lily in the tall vase. That's it.
kay

Bookmark   July 5, 2010 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Removing leaf mulch
Anyone in Northeast Ohio remove the leaf mulch (or...
schoolhouse_gw
Anuual Hollyhock seed
I don't remember if I plant annual HH seed this Spring...
schoolhouse_gw
Hard Pruning Tree Wisteria
I need some advice about hard pruning from the knowledgeable...
rckowal
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardener_nc7b
Aftermidnight (and others please) question
Hi Annette, I am finding this Houzz hard to navigate...
duncandotty
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting Turner Oil Rubbed Bronze Two-Light Flush Mount Light
$179.00 | LuxeDecor
Modway Laguna 6 Piece Sectional Set in Espresso Red
Beyond Stores
Designers Fountain 98004 Stratton 4 Light Bath Bar - 98004-SP
$135.50 | Hayneedle
Hinkley Lighting Avon Chrome Two-Light LED Vanity Light
$329.00 | LuxeDecor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Bath Mat: Garland Rug Bathmats Majesty Cotton White 21
$29.97 | Home Depot