Swiss Chard bolting??

marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern OntarioJuly 27, 2014

I've never seen this before, but several of my plants looked as if they were bolting like spinach. I picked those plants right out and we'll have them for supper tonight. The stems were quite tough on them when i cut the roots off. We've had cool, rainy summers before and that's never happened. Any ideas as to why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thirsty_dirt_77(3a)

Swiss chard in biannual and shouldn't seed the first year it's planted..... Do you have any pictures??

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:28PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

No, i didn't take any pictures of it, sorry. It was like a long stem came out of the initial rosette (or whatever) of leaves and there were smaller leaves coming off the stem at intervals. At the top, there were tiny leaves with tinier leaves inside. There were no seeds visible - the plant just looked like spinach when it bolts.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:31PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

I've had biennial vegetables bolt the first year - I can't remember specifics but I think it was beets &/or parsnips. I think it's just something they do sometimes. I haven't seen chard do it, but I haven't grown it for a long time.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 11:34PM

If any more of the plants do it, i'll be sure to take a picture. It was surprising to see. Spinach bolts all the time - I just can't grow it anymore - and my broccoli has been doing it the past few years too.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 9:39AM
twrosz

Marcia, how's the fertility of your soil? Have you been getting a lot of rain this summer?

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 12:55AM

Yes, Terry, a LOT of rain! The winter was long and cold and snowy, spring barely was spring and it has been cool and rainy most of the summer.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Native plum wood collection along with many others.
If anybody in my area calgary or alberta is looking...
mattpf
Has many one tried calgaryplants.com for roses?
I came across this site, http://www.calgaryplants.com/collections/roses,...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Muckle Plum
This is an interesting ornamental landscaping tree...
ziggro
Raspberries for zone 4
Hi Far N gardeners, I'm not exactly "far"...
eatsivy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™