Low Grow or Grow Low Sumac

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)July 8, 2013

I did it again! I bought another shrub when I haven't even finished planting what I bought last year, LOL!

Does anyone have one of these? From what I've read, it seems it may spread out further than they suggested at the garden centre.

I was thinking of planting it between a Red Osior Dogwood and a side by side Joe PyeWeed / Blue Fox Willow. There's about 6 feet between at the most.

Any thoughts or comments, or do you anticipate problems?? Would the taller dogwood, then the shorter sumac, and then the taller willow look awful??

The alternative would be to plant it to the right of the back door beside the walkway/patio area. It would get sun until about 3 p.m. Would it tolerate snow being shovelled onto it?

Once again, thanks for your help :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CLBlakey

I hope sumacs don't grow in your zone the way they grow at the coast my SIL had suckers all over her lawn

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 6:36PM
shillanorth Z4 AB

My concern would also be suckers - I had a staghorn sumac and there were suckers up all over the lawn, through the sidewalk cracks and into the flower beds 20 feet away. It took me 3 years of constant pulling and Rounduping to eliminate them after I dug out the tree.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 9:13PM
CLBlakey

SIL was a staghorn too. Hopefully the low grow does not have the same growing habits.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 12:32AM
Pudge 2b

When you read about a plant and it says it's good for erosion control, will naturalize, and spreads by root suckers, you know that this plant is going to spread its wings no matter what.

Remember that each of those suckers turns into its own shrub and that will also want to spread. And they tell two friends, and they tell two friends, and so on, and so on. I had suckering Evans Cherry trees - I had to take them out completely and spray roundup for 3 years to get rid of all the suckering wanna-be new trees. I have suckering chokecherries that require at least annual applications of roundup to control the spread.

Be careful and at the very least give it the crappiest soil you have in your yard. Or take it back, get a refund and buy a really nice new daylily instead.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 3:41PM
CLBlakey

Pudge when you apply round up to the suckers does it kill the main tree?

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 4:56PM
Pudge 2b

No, no damage to the main tree. At least not to my tough-as-nails chokecherries nor the EVILans cherry. Some suckers are right near the trunk (but not on the trunk), but most travel out away from the trunk.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 5:16PM
CLBlakey

EVILans cherry I planted one last year look forward to suckers to share with friends. Can't wait for cherries.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 12:13AM
More Discussions
Has many one tried calgaryplants.com for roses?
I came across this site, http://www.calgaryplants.com/collections/roses,...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Trying new tree varieties and update on rare trees
Hey everyone, What are some of the trees you've all...
www.eclipselandscaping.ca
Greenhouse in a Box
Hello Everyone :) For those of you who have received...
nutsaboutflowers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™