This is what I did yesterday

aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. CanadaJuly 13, 2014

I have quite a few clematis scattered around the garden, this one in particular (Proteus) had really overgrown it's spot, been there for over 20 years. So, yesterday I decided it was time to say goodbye to it.
Armed with a spade I started to dig it out, almost broke the handle, battle plan needed... I got out my stainless steel heavy duty jobie, I dug and pried, took a couple of rests, some liquid refreshment then had another go at it.
Two hours later I finally pried it out after severing most of the roots, was about to toss it and then thought to myself I wonder if I split it up would it survive??? My over curious mind wanted to know sooo, hauled it over to my potting bench and tried to pry it apart, what the h*ll have I got here a chunk of concrete?
So, another rest and some more liquid refreshment I was ready to have another go at it. Out trusty pruning saw, couldn't make a dint, stood there scratching my head for a minute or two. The lightbulb started to flicker what if I hit it with the hose, wash all the soil off so I could see what I was dealing with, by this time I had dug my heels in and I was determined it wasn't going to get the better of me, since it was time for supper I plopped the rootball in a tub of water, went in and made a tasty little salad with cucs from the garden, some shrimp, O.O., a smidge of white wine vinegar and a sprinkling of oregano, this with a potato bun made a quick and easy supper.

************************INTERMISSION************************

Time to tackle my opponent once again. Armed with my trusty little pruning saw I once again attempted to saw through the root mass. Yes.... it was like sawing through concrete but by now I had the bit in my teeth and I was off and running. I kept at until it finally gave in and declared me the winner. I ended up with 3 pieces which are now planted in two gallon pots, all are showing new growth as two weeks before digging I had cut this clemie down and hauled the vine to the landfill. Here's a picture of it in 2006, this year it was three times the size. I only know how to post one pic at a time so two more to follow. Annette

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Picture of the three pieces I ended up with, this rootball before dividing must have weighed 10 lbs.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 1:26PM

Potted up and sitting in limbo, Today I'm taking the day off, well maybe drag the hose around and do a little watering :)

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 1:28PM
cyn427 (zone 7)

Okay, okay, you have put me to shame! Tomorrow (or Wednesday when it is supposed to be cooler) I will get out and do something with the little garden I tried to create around a sign post in our hell strip. I planted a clematis year ago that has never filled out on the trellis and blooms minimally. I added a mandevilla this year, but it looks awful despite watering it-the one last year was much better! I guess I will rip it all out and start fresh!

I wish I had your skills, Annette!

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:13PM
nulty

Once you started you must have thought it was a big mistake and not such an easy project,..liquid refreshment obviously gave you a booster,..wow it was a big root ball,..bet you strained a few muscles but hope next day you were not suffering.

Yes i would have enjoyed your supper as well,..you sure had me smiling,..great job well done,

Philip

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 7:09PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Phew! What a job! That is an absolutely gorgeous clematis. Well done!

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 8:50PM
greylady_gardener

that's a beauty, Annette. I would have hated to lose it, but with your determination (love your description! :)), you now have three!
surprising what we find when we dig up those roots!

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 9:01PM
cadillactaste

Labor of love...seeing photos of your gardens...you have quite the knowledge and know how. Glad you took the time to split it up...that was beautiful while in bloom. Definitely worth making three than tossing completely out. Good work! Hope you can move tomorrow.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:21AM

It's my understanding Clemies don't like this kind of treatment, I hope this particular Clemie wasn't aware of that. That root ball must have been 10 lbs. before I cut it up, time will tell if I have succeeded or not. If not at least I got a good cardiovascular workout LOL.

Annette

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 10:24AM
ianna(Z5b)

Annette,

I would have loved you to send me cuttings--LOL. What a lovely plant.

Ianna

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 12:10PM
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)

Annette - don't you pull something - lol. That is a beauty - I hope you end up with 3 new plants!!

Nancy.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 9:19PM

It looks like it worked :), I have a spot for one but the other two need a new home. I'm sure someone at garden club will take these little orphans under their wing.
Annette

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 1:52PM
greylady_gardener

Oh, good for you!! nice job. :) Lots of work, but you are going to make a couple of people very happy.

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 2:36PM
seamommy(7bTX)

I'm so glad you saved it. What a beautiful clematis!

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:27PM
rosie99(z6VA)

Just what I needed to read!! I've got to move my 20yr old clematis to make room for a ramp up to my door...so, guess I'll start tomorrow am before it gets too hot(90's and humid here in VA) I need to mow, too! Keeps me out of trouble!

Thanks again, Garden Web friends!

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 8:20PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Well, good Saturday morning, Cottagers. It is a brilliantly...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Random Weekend Trivia
Good morning cottagers, Grey and blustery out this...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Hardiness zone
How do I place my hardiness zone next to my name? ...
marielle(zone4b-5a)
Just a little test post -
I'm trying to see how the new posting works. First,...
ThinMan Z5 MI
Early rose-Gingersnap
I was trying to post this a couple of weeks ago but...
jakkom
Sponsored Products
GFD - Neo Renaissance 7 Piece Traditional Dining Room Set -...
Great Furniture Deal
Fireclay Butler Reverse Apron 32.5-inch White Double Kitchen Sink
Overstock.com
New Geometric Runner Super Kazak Blue Hand Knotted Wool 3'x10' Floral Rug H5815
BH Sun Inc
Bollard Stone Finish Low Voltage LED Landscape Path Light
$73.91 | Lamps Plus
Marbled Stone Pendant by ELK Lighting
$670.00 | Lumens
Daylight Lamps White Triple Bright Light U32500
Home Depot
Stowe Ottoman - Key Largo Pumice Beige