Royl Lee cherry

yummfruit(9)February 2, 2012

Hey yall, for the guys that have planted the bay laurel low chill cherries here in central florida, How are they doing? I just planted the royal lee, mini royal cherries on colt root stock. also Pettingill apple on m111 root stock, goldkist apricot on nemagaurd root stock and finally kayty apricot on citation root stock. Please let me know if anyone has tips on what to do or not to do with these trees. would love to hear from someone that is getting fruit off of these trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
L_in_FL(8B/9A Border, NW FL)

I'd be interested in hearing as well. I just planted the Royal Lee & Minnie Royal trees up here. (Before someone tells me I'm stupid...I planted them knowing that they are an experiment. I know I may never see fruit because they may not tolerate the disease pressures in our humidity. But I think it's worth a try.)

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 9:31AM
happyballz(9A/B Valrico,Florida)

Didn't have them for a year yet but I planted 4 cherries as an experiment myself around a month ago. Royal lee and mini royal broke dormancy and pushing out leaves now. Stell & Lapins - just now starting to bud-out. All on the new dwarf rootstock 3CR178.

I contacted nursery and they said to hold-off on head-cutting/pruning them until summer because of diseases.
Also, was suggested to paint them top to bottom with 50% water/50% white latex paint to protect form the sun.

Hopefully it worksout for all of us lol.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 1:35PM
L_in_FL(8B/9A Border, NW FL)

Mine are also on 3CR178 rootstock. They were planted mid-January and their first leaves are emerging now.

I painted mine, too, but the written instructions that came with my trees said to paint from just below the bottom branch to the ground, not all the way to the top. So that's what I did. Even the buds that are below the paint line are opening - the coating of paint isn't slowing them down at all.

My trees had already been head-cut so they would fit in the shipping box. I am not planning on doing any more pruning until next winter, except for rubbing off any buds that sprout too low to the ground.

Bookmark   February 2, 2012 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
need seeds
i was wondering if anyone can send me some seeds to...
the2015farmer
Mystery tree
Has small silvery/gray leaves, almost furry looking......
roselady35
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
Landscaping shady 2' square area at front entry
I live in zone 9 and need help landscaping a very shady...
Desirae Kristen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™