Help w/ ID

newf12(9florida)February 24, 2013

I have some kind of critter in back yard creating very large piles of dirt. I am from up north and did battle with moles frequently. They would leave small piles of dirt and your lawn would be full of tunnels. I can feel no tunneling around these mounds and can't find any hole in the pile so I have NO idea how they are getting all that dirt out of the ground! What is this thing and how do I get rid of it before my entire yard looks like a sand pit?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crueltyfre(Tampa 9a heat 10 sunset 26)

could it be an armadillo? Mine leave sorta like trenches where they dig for bugs and such. I'm a nature lover, so I let them be and just kick over the dirt, I'd rather have them then the bugs. We have tortoises that dig deep burrows as well, but I suspect you'd see those, they're big, lol.
Lori

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 10:59AM
starryrider(9)

Sounds like gophers to me. They are not easy to get rid of and they eat the roots of your grass. I knock down the mounds when I see them and water the grass in those spots.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 11:07AM
zzackey(8b GA)

armadillos don't live up north!!

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 4:17PM
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F

I don't have any ideas for you, but we had a similar thing happen next to my mother's house. Mounds of dirt just appearing over-night. She called me over to try and identify what could be making the mounds, but I couldn't find any tracks or anything in the dirt around the mounds. I would carefully dismantle the mounds, scooping away inch after inch, just in case I found a tunnel I wouldn't disturb the resident too much. Each mound I ended up clearing with no signs of tunneling underneath. There were no holes, burrows, entrances or even messed up grass. It looked for all the world like someone had dumped about a 3-gal bucket worth of dirt next to her yard. But each time we dismantled a mound, the next morning there would be another. Never did figure out what was making them, but eventually they ceased to form.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 7:24PM
April83081

Hi there! Okay so I found (against EVERY old wives tale that I have ever heard) that moles are attracted to wind pinwheels. You know, like the children's toy? I am in Orlando area, and I had a problem with a mole who I actually saw one day when pulling out of my yard in the car, rummaging around in my flower beds. I got a pinwheel, and it seemed to drive him nuts! The first day, I got it to scare him off. Clearly, that didn't work, but he seemed to be drawn to it! Each night, he tried to dig it out. My solution? Slowly moving it(the pinwheel) a little closer to my fence each night. After about a week, he seemed to have found a new home, outside of my yard. I haven't had a problem since, and its been over a year. Good luck, they are frustrating!

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 6:59PM
More Discussions
Mystery tree
Has small silvery/gray leaves, almost furry looking......
roselady35
So, what can you tell me about Dlonix regia?
Heh, another miserably cold day here, it's really getting...
wisconsitom
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
need seeds
i was wondering if anyone can send me some seeds to...
the2015farmer
Speaking of Coffee
I was watching an episode of Gardening Australia the...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™