beets going to seed

trisha_51(5 Nebraska)July 24, 2010

I have noticed more and more beets sending up seed stalks and wondered why they were doing this since they are a biennial, so googled and found that it's our cool summer over here that is causing it. We are having lots of below 50 degree weather at night. Well, I guess I will try saving seed! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schoolb1(2-3)

Hi, I'm in wasilla and things are the same here. Wondering if the cool temps were the problem.I don't have beets this year, but my radishes went to seed and they haven't matured enough to even have radishes. What a year, and they are even in the greenhouse. I have alot of tomatoes,but don't know if they will ripen.Flowers and hostas are doing great though.Geez, I need some sun!

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 11:06PM
trisha_51(5 Nebraska)

I decided to pull most of those sending up a stalk. Was surprised to find the stalk very tender yet, and bulbs of a decent size! Very tasty. :)

Bookmark   July 25, 2010 at 11:08PM
schoolb1(2-3)

Wonderful! Bon-appetite, Judy

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 11:15PM
ljpother(3a)

I have this problem with spinach. I put it down to the days getting shorter. The effect in Alaska would be stronger. Of course if you normally don't have a problem, shorter days is unlikely to be the cause.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 11:44AM
Earth_Healer

I noticed the poster stated that beets were biennial. I suspected this but did not know for sure. So this means beets here in Indiana will winter over? If so are the roots edible? Or maybe a more pertinent question, are they as tasty as the first years growth. I've never had a beet sprout seeds so I'm curious to see them do so.

Also how are beet seeds supposed to be harvested and prepped for storage?

Any information would be appreciated :0)

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 6:45PM
don555(3a)

Not certain of the answer to your question, but my recommendation would be to havest what you want this Fall, and forget overwintering. I've never tried it with beets, but carrots left in the ground here over winter tend to be mushy by Spring. Parsnips will overwinter and grow back in Spring, but again the texture suffers so badly you just won't want to eat them.

Any onions you missed will grow back with early green onions in the Spring, and those are good to harvest in Spring. Everything else I'd ignore.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 2:35AM
More Discussions
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Disappearing seedlings, help requested
I have never had problems with damping off only losing...
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™