Mosquito bites

Ginny McLean_Petite_GardenJuly 12, 2011

Just thought I would share a piece of useful info. When I was a kid, I was out trail riding one day out by Cooking Lake. I rode out there a lot and ,of course, being by the lake, the bugs were horrendous. I had on shorts and green knee socks. For some reason the skeeters seemed to love my legs with the socks on. Long story short, I got eaten alive ! I couldn't find anything to sooth the itch so grabbed the only thing I could find in the house which was Absorbine Junior. It worked great! Many years later I was reading the back of the bottle and there in green and white it says: It is also an effective first aid antiseptic for relief of non -poisonous insect bites. Who knew?? Just thought I'd pass that on since the skeeters are so bad this year. I bought 2 new bottles the other day at Walmart!! :) Auuuuugggghhhh relief!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beegood_gw

If you crush Yarrow leaves or I guess more like fronds and rub that on a bite it will stop the itch. With the amount of mosquitoes we have right now it is impossible to keep up no matter what I use .

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 11:11AM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

You got that right Beegood.I keep my bathtub full of Deep Woods Off!

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 11:37AM
shazam_z3

Here's a great Cracked.com article about ways scientists are devising to destroy mosquitoes. I like the grapefruit extract one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Die, Mosquitos, Die!

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 12:14PM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

I look at it this way. If we can do without a vestigial organ like our appendix then why do we need mosquitoes?

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™