Great new rose book

leo_prairie_view(2B Manitoba)July 27, 2008

I recently came across a new book on roses for Canada that I think many would enjoy and find useful:"Rosiers Rustiques", by Bertrand Dumont with forward by Claire Laberge

It gives descriptions of more roses suitable for growing in Canada than I have seen anywhere else with beautiful pictures of each. It even includes many of my favourites such as ÂPrairie Youth and Louis Riel which I have not seen described anywhere else. I do not read French but we live in a Francophone RM and with a brief introduction by our librarian I am able to get quite a bit out of it. It is good to see someone recommending roses that actually will thrive here.

Leo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shazam_z3

Interesting. The book seems to have a website (just google "rosiers rustiques"); of particular interest is a rose called "Irène Bernatchez" that apparently is a sport of Champlain.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 10:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leo_prairie_view(2B Manitoba)

The web site is for a nursery that also sounds very interesting. They do in vitro propagation of hardy roses then field grow them for 2 seasons before selling them. I came across them when looking for 'Prairie Harvest' on its own roots. If the shipping is not too much I am looking to order from them next spring. They are about 300km from Montreal where the book is published. they publish several other beautiful garden books. http://www.jardinplaisir.com
Leo

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 12:52PM
More Discussions
Polar Bear Willow
I posted this last night but it seems to have disappeared....
sazzyrose
Northland Crab apple
This is an older Mn. variety that is supposed to be...
sandbur2
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Muckle Plum
This is an interesting ornamental landscaping tree...
ziggro
Carmine Jewel Dwarf Cherry Tree
Hi I was just wondering if anyone has grown one of...
troman1973
Sponsored Products
New Oriental Veg Dyed Afgan Rose Red Balouch Hand Knotted Wool Rug P252
BH Sun Inc
Ciaran Dining Chair in White
$149.99 | Dot & Bo
Estate Collection Detailed Corner Mirror - Antique Biscuit Finish - EC13-1622-BI
$203.00 | Hayneedle
Great Majorca Half-Moon Wall Sconce
$424.60 | Bellacor
Moooi | Brave New World XL Lamp
YLighting
New York Sleeping Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$79.99 | zulily
Flower Market Luncheon Plate
$35.00 | Horchow
Lighting on the Square Bronze 45" Wide Bath Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting
People viewed this after searching for: