My First Leaf Miners

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)July 4, 2011

It looks like my Blizzard Mock Orange may have leaf miners on two of the leaves. I've never had them before on anything.

One of the pest websites I've looked at, says to just remove the leaves. Will that be enough?

I hope I don't have to use chemicals. I do pretty much everything I can to prevent their use.

BTW My mock orange smells heavenly =:) Thanks Northspruce!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Slimy_Okra(2b)

Yeah, they're a pretty minor pest and removing the leaves should be enough. Also remove any leaves that have their eggs. They are tiny, cylindrical, white, laid in neat parallel rows on the undersides of the leaves, like an army formation. They look similar to hoverfly eggs (a beneficial) but hoverfly eggs are a bit larger and laid singly.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 2:27PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

I've always just ignored them. Never a huge deal in my garden. You're welcome about the mock orange, mine are blooming right now too. :0)

Off topic: I have quite a few spittlebugs around this year which is odd because I used to see them only very rarely.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 8:54PM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Thanks Slimy Okra. Nice handle BTW. I'll remove the leaves tomorrow and try to look for eggs. I'm always afraid I'm going to destroy eggs of something beneficial, though.

Hey, Northspruce, I looked up spittlebugs. I've had those spitty things occasionally and didn't know what they were. My second lesson for the day. Leaf miner eggs and spittlebugs. Ain't life grand =:)

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™