Poppies?

shear_stupidity(9B)February 4, 2013

Is anyone in Florida having any luck growing Poppies? I'd like to try to grow them from seed (like I did up north), but I've tried once before and failed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katkin_gw

I never had any luck with them either. A lot of plants for zone 9 or 10 won't take Fl 9 or 10. They want Ca where it is drier. :o)

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 11:32AM
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

I sowed California poppy seeds (eschscholzia californica) in my garden a couple of Decembers ago (bought a seed pack at WalMart on a whim). The following spring the poppies yelled "hey...look at ME!" as they danced in their brilliant orange dresses. They definitely dominated the landscape. Another plus - the attractive finely cut blue green foliage that, unfortunately, eventually browned by early summer.

With the generous amount of seed heads that appeared (and within each one copious amounts of minute seeds) I thought I would have loads of self-seeded plants the following spring but, to my regret, only a few plants appeared here and there. I have a few self-seeded plants this year also. Hopefully this year I'll remember to look for seed packs so I can renew the display for next spring.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 12:56PM
shear_stupidity(9B)

I miss Oriental Poppies. And Lilacs. And Peonies. And, and, and... sighhhhh.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 1:55PM
shear_stupidity(9B)

June, I didn't know how else to reach you, but I got my Zinnia seeds yesterday! (Just didn't know it until today) Thank you so much! You were VERY generous!

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 7:27PM
katkin_gw

A lot of annuals will grow in the fall and winter here and last until spring if we don't get below freezing. But once our hot humid summers come they seem to melt. I love all the colors of the annuals but have lately been staying with tropicals that can survive our summers. Still I can't resist plants like cosmos or gallardia that self seed easily. :o)

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 9:26AM
shear_stupidity(9B)

I'm still trying to find tropical foliage plants. So far, the list is fairly limited as to what's available locally. Selloum Philodendron, Schefflera, Elephant Ears, Bird of Paradise, Banana, and palm trees. What else IS there? I can't landscape my whole back yard with just those, it's too big of a space.
What tropicals do you have, Katkin?

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 9:29AM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

Shirley poppies grew for me last year - they were part of a wildflower mix. I'm gonna be trying again soon.When sowing outside, I scatter seeds & cover w/ compost or potting mix, instead of soil.

I also have good luck w/ prickly poppies - both white & yellow(Mexican) - basically a weed around here.

Poppies are 1 of my fave flowers = )

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
wanted: perlite & peat moss wholesaler in miami, fl
Hi, I'm thrilled to come across this site. So many...
PowPowPow
Landscaping shady 2' square area at front entry
I live in zone 9 and need help landscaping a very shady...
Desirae Kristen
need seeds
i was wondering if anyone can send me some seeds to...
the2015farmer
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
What's a Native?
I've been watching Gardening Australia lately and it...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Sponsored Products
Draper Stripe Pillow Sham Pair by DwellStudio
$69.00 | Lumens
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Large Poppies Sienna 7 ft.
Home Depot
Draper Mid-Century Modern Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Cabana Poppy & Pansy Wreath
$19.99 | zulily
Poppy Red Narrow Zig Zag Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Reed and Barton Silver Link Poppy Picture Frame - 7946
$40.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™