Can anyone id this plant?

newbiegardenerinwpgJuly 3, 2007

I have just bought my first house and the gardens are a little neglected in places with weeds and overgrowth in areas. The previous owner was only there a couple of years but owner before that LOVED her garden and the perennials are all hers.

Anyway the whole gardening thing is new to me. I am falling hard though. I am probably making tons of mistakes as i am learning. This forum is great .

I am wondering if anyone could help me figure out what this plant is. It seems to have taken over in a couple spots and I think I am going to need to get rid of it. the roots are insane though. They look like a mess of worms and go deep and are very clingy. I don't know how to post a picture here but I have a link to the photos of the plant. Someone suggested it could be chives gone to seed and someone else suggested a lily of some sort. Any ideas?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellsinmypocket/712155606/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shellsinmypocket/712155590/in/photostream/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Looks a bit like tradescantia to me.

Bookmark   July 3, 2007 at 11:59PM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

Yep, that's tradescantia or spiderwort all right. I guess it's a plant that you may want to just devote an area alone to, as it may choke out other plants.

Welcome to the forum too. There's lots of information here for anybody starting out in gardening. Don't hesitate to ask questions, as we were all beginner gardeners at some time.;^)

Laurie

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 8:24AM
valleyrimgirl(2b)

I also have the spiderwort, 4 different colors, a white, the zwanesburg blue, a pink and a purple (just like yours). I have not found that they are invasive in any manner in my yard. Yes, the purple and pink have spread but not taken over just an individual plant here and a plant there but the white and blue have not. I really enjoy its many little flowers.

The white spiderwort...

The zwanesburg blue was and still is mixed up with Grandma Jean Daylily just like it was when a friend of mine sold the daylily to me. They are very happy together so I think that they may remain that way here.

Since they have taken over in your yard...yes, get rid of the majority of them. Wonder how many years they have been in the yard? Maybe your soil conditions are the exactly what they like.

Brenda

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 11:18AM
More Discussions
Muckle Plum
This is an interesting ornamental landscaping tree...
ziggro
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Potted peonies already coming up in garage! What do I do?
Hi everyone, After my winter hibernation, I am back!...
ostrich
Toka plum almost ready to flower in calgary
Like the title says today I was doing my pruning for...
mattpf
Sponsored Products
Contemporary LED Bathroom Vanity Light Bar 6W
ParrotUncle
Cooper Classics Anna 29 1/2" High Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Acura 3 Seat Right Sectional With Chaise
bryght.com
Sterling Medallion Rosette - White
Signature Hardware
Outer Limits Multicolor Area Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Central Park Squirrel Pillow
$24.99 | Dot & Bo
54" x 23" Teak Rectangular Planter
Fifthroom.com
T3 Source Shower Showerhead Filter
$130.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™