crazy_gardener consult

ljpother(3a)July 30, 2009

I'm trying to get an ID for a pink rose that died back to the graft this spring. I have a pink flower on new growth. I have posted on the Rose forum and got a possible ID as a Winnipeg Parks. I saw in another thread that you have many of the Morden roses. Would you take a look and see if it looks like anything you have or had.

Thanks

"Link to Roses forum thread"

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

It looks like Winnipeg Parks to me. The bloom shape is right.

By the way, regarding the poster on the Roses forum who said the only rootstock she knows is Dr. Huey... growers in Canada almost exclusively use Rosa multiflora as it is vigorous and hardy. It has small white flowers. Just for info.

Bookmark   July 31, 2009 at 4:36PM
ljpother(3a)

Thanks,

I wasn't sure the colour. Is there variation in the Winnipeg Park colour?

Also, the grafts on my roses aren't buried. Do I have to replant or can I just hill dirt over the graft? I moved two this year so replanting shouldn't be difficult.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 11:59AM
shazam_z3

Check the foliage. Winnipeg Parks has reddish tinged foliage, often with a red border around the leaves on new growth.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 1:47PM
ljpother(3a)

I'm hoping this isn't Rosa multiflora. I've been told this isn't a single, which would mean it isn't Rosa multiflora.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 3:09PM
ljpother(3a)

When the sprouts first came from the graft, they had a red tinge. I don't see any red now. The rose is in full sun.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 3:20PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Take a look at the pictures on Help me Find roses. If you get the main page for some reason, find the photos tab at the top and click it. The problem with photographing Wpg Parks is for some reason most cameras can't handle its colour. Mine included. Something about that bright pink with a little orange in it doesn't photograph well.

The young foliage of my WP is red, and the edges and veins stay red awhile, but mature foliage is all green. This is the same for a lot of roses. It's susceptible to powdery mildew in my garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpmefind

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 8:07PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Oh yeah and you might try to build up the soil a little, even burying the graft for the winter and carefully digging it out in the spring (to avoid damaging new shoots) will help.

Bookmark   August 1, 2009 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
Primocane raspberries? Zone 3 north of Edmonton
Does anyone around Edmonton grow a primocane raspberry?...
lindz6
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™