lawn

3kids1grandFebruary 18, 2013

I live in Broward and i know the time to use a type of "weed and feed" is fast approaching. Any suggestions of what you use?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheTradition(9b)

That would greatly depend on the type(s) of weeds you're trying to control, the variety of grass you have, and the extent to which your lawn has weed problems (i.e., degree of infestation). Are you trying to prevent weeds or control existing weeds?

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 6:02PM
3kids1grand

I have St Augustine grass, trying to control dollar weeds. Pretty severe in a few places.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 8:22PM
TheTradition(9b)

Don't bother with a granular weed and feed product. It's funny, the Scott's "Bonus S" W&F has a picture of a freaking dollarweed on the package, but in my experience, dollarweed isn't bothered at all by the tiny amount of atrazine in that product. In fact, it seems to make the dollarweed grow better!

If dollarweed is the problem, use Image for St. Augustine and buy regular fertilizer for the lawn. This way, you're only treating the problem areas with the herbicide, and it's a much more effective product, too.

Dollarweed is very hard to eradicate, BTW. Multiple treatments will be necessary, and the best you can really hope for is control, not total elimination. You also can't use it when it's warm (although I've never found an answer as to why).

2,4-D (the active ingredient in Weed-B-Gone) works well against dollarweed, too, but regardless of what the label says, it will damage the lawn. It's cheaper than Image, though, so I use it around borders and in beds where I'm not concerned about damage to the grass.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.imageforweeds.com/St-Augustine/index.html

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 8:55AM
susieq07

Atrazine liq, in a sprayer, knocks out Dollar weed, I've already sprayed mine twice. Because we had rain, after first spraying.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 9:41AM
ladywingr(9b/10a)

Atrazine used in temperatures over 80* will kill St Augustine grass, and very quickly from my own experience.

A possible issue to consider is how much water is being applied. Dollarweed loves wet soils and heavy irrigation.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 2:57PM
3kids1grand

Thanks will digest info and go to Lowe's or HD and read labels.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 7:44PM
greenie1_gw

I live in Broward also and frankly used to have a horrible lawn trying to use the weed and feed myself. I hired Scott's lawn service which will give your lawn anything it needs for $35 a month, no contract required. My lawn looks terrific now.

This post was edited by Greenie1 on Sat, Feb 23, 13 at 20:35

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:33PM
More Discussions
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
Thinking of planting azaleas
So I went for it and ripped out the ugly bushes in...
Debo214
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
New bird food!
Ellen, the 90 year old, cut off the end of a piece...
thonotorose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™