Figs won't ripen...

RMarsdenJuly 31, 2012

Hello Everyone,

Hoping someone can give me some suggestions. I am in Phoenix and planted a Violette de Bordeaux last spring. It receives full sun, in a sheltered back yard. It has grown to about 8 feet tall, with healthy dark green leaves, and while a lot of figs appear and grow, they don't ever seem to become ripe. The closest thing to ripe were two that were dark in color, but when cut open, they were dry, coarse, and not sweet at all. It has four drip lines (open, no drippers on them) that run for an hour total throughout the day. It has been given fruit tree fertilizer twice over the past year. And it's never been pruned. Would a photo help? Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herman2_gw

This is how Violette de Bordeaux was performing in Phoenix Arizona,By Grower :Frozen Joe,described on the forum "Figs4fun.
As you can see your tree is not near like his.
It is young now but if next year it keep making dry inedible fruits ,discard it,it must be a seedling.
For now find out PH value in soil and apply powder limestone if acidic,to bring it to 7 ,neutral.

Violette de Bordeaux - This tree was an aggressive grower. It produced a dozen brebas. Their quality was from good to excellent. Medium size. Good texture. Fruit rating 9. It produced many dozens of main crop figs. Their quality was from poor to excellent. Medium size. Poor to good texture. Fruit rating 8. The most productive in my collection; it was the best fig this year in the spring and the fall.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 6:38PM
Doglips(8b/9a)

I saw a you tube vid where a guy pruned bunches of leaves off of the tree. The idea being that the tree was under stress ( as if winter was approaching) and needed to get the fruit to market.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 3:21AM
foolishpleasure

I have one tree like that. Figs do not ripen and if ripined it is dry and tasteless. It is labeled brown turkey by the nursery. I have other brown turkey which are 8 feet away produces sweet eatable figs, I decided to cut its branches and use it as a rootstock.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 2:40AM
rickc_2010

Herman knows figs, follow his advice. Also I ran into that trouble past years and snipped the tops and stunted long growth which allowed the plant to focus on fig production. This is working very well. Rick C

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 3:41PM
More Discussions
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Fig picture
Testing the picture function . Drag and drop from computer...
dieseler
Need to find a fig company
Hi together, i ´m new here and my first question is,...
depequ
When to prune fig trees?
Hello to all,my fig tree is bare now and I was wondering...
coconutman
Best fig tree for Piedmont-SC?
Hi, I have a sunny front yard with some space. I would...
okyard1980
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™