P.A.D. strikes again!!! (honeysuckle shrub replacement)

ostrich(3a AB)July 16, 2014

Well, yes, 'fraid so.... see, I really should not have gone to CT.... because every time I go there, I just "find" something nice!!! :-) This time, I found this big and healthy 5 gallon Wisteria Blue Moon on sale!!! I could not believe my eyes. Anyway, I put it in the spot where the Arnold Red Honeysuckle (the S.P. victim) used to be and I think that it looks good there! Hopefully, there will be enough sun. I will need to install a trellis behind it to support the vine.

BTW, Terrance, how did you put the stems down to the ground? They are pretty stiff and upright! I am wondering if I should winter protect it with some burlap wrap?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Looks great! I just got hit with EHD ( especially hungry deer) and am sure Ian going to have to replace. Dag numbit!

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 10:38PM
ostrich(3a AB)

SCG, sorry that it happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 11:00PM
twrosz

Ostrich, the stems are rather flexible and you should easily be able to lay the plant down to the ground for winter. The problem you'll notice is it needs a long hot growing season in order to ripen and harden off, otherwise much of the new growth will freeze right back. The first few years, I had covered it with about 3 inches of peat moss and then let this freeze hard (to keep mice from burrowing into it) and then put plastic over to keep moisture out and later piled snow on top. This plant requires work if it's to obtain any real size in this climate and it's likely going to be more frustration than satisfaction.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 5:17PM
ostrich(3a AB)

Thanks for the great information, Terrance! Do you think that it would work if I just wrap it with burlap rather than putting it on the ground? Regardless, I will need to do some work for it this fall then!!!! Thanks! So far, it is looking very happy in its new location but winter is the real test here... sigh!

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 10:23PM
twrosz

Unfortunately, I believe that burlap will provide very little protection when the temperatures plummet to bitterly cold values :(

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 12:00PM
More Discussions
Austen's anyone?
I know Riki grows a lot of Austen's in zone 4. Anyone...
sowandgrow
Costco Canada Bareroot Roses?
$63.99 for 6 bare root roses, includes shipping &...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
crabapple trees
The woodpeckers have done a real number on one of my...
marricgardens
Toka plum almost ready to flower in calgary
Like the title says today I was doing my pruning for...
mattpf
Sponsored Products
LED WAC Flyback White Track Bullet for Lightolier Track Systems
Euro Style Lighting
Hand-tufted Contemporary Mandara Rug (8' Round)
Overstock.com
Punkt. AC 01 Alarm Clock - White - Punkt.
$185.00 | HORNE
Franklin Leather Single Arm Sofa - Brighton Breeze Green
Joybird Furniture
Valley of Vines Art Print
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Safavieh Wilton WIL332A 7'9" x 9'9" Black Rug
PlushRugs
2nd Avenue Lighting Donya Invert Four-Light Pendant
LuxeDecor
Componendo | Minimal Sink
$1,753.10 | YBath
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™