Prune more to make it branch?

hifromprovidence(6)July 30, 2014

Just took back all of the big trunks that died back from the winter and now I have one decent looking leading branch that comes very low off one of these trunks. Should I just let this one go as high as it'll go this season or should I cut it back a bit so it'll thicken the base of it and allow it to branch? I must say I still don't understand pruning much at all despite what I read. Thanks. Anyone else out there in the same situation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstontexas123(z9a)

it'll branch out sooner or later, right now its very stressed. i'd leave it alone till next spring.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 1:37AM
hifromprovidence(6)

So it will branch without cutting? Maybe I'll stake it up so it doesn't break then. Thanks.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 9:07AM
houstontexas123(z9a)

yes it will branch on its own.

no need to stake it. unless theres a storm with gale force winds, like a hurricane or something.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 12:13AM
gnappi

If you have a dog, staking is a good idea. My dog will trample anything without a stick holding it up.

It looks like you lost a well developed fig there. From what I've read here about the damage and death from the cold of this past winter I hope that northern fig owners learned not to be complacent and bundle them up from now on.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 10:32PM
dieseler

It is a little late to nip it, seems like it now has apical dominance growing into a whip like plant .
Nipping it at this late date will not give newer emerging shoots that would grow into brnaches time to harden off before cold weather.

I would personally stake it so when time comes in your zone to protect the branch has less chance to snap.

Martin

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
the f4f forum
I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will...
mgginva
Need to find a fig company
Hi together, i ´m new here and my first question is,...
depequ
Any good places to buy fig cuttings?
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you could recommend...
bonechickchris
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Need to know what kind of fig tree this is!
I am hoping someone may know the variety of this fig...
Shelly Holmes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™