Norkent Apple Ripening Time

ziggroAugust 14, 2013

I was wondering if any of y'all could tell me when your Norkent apples ripen. There is a wide variation in the reports I've found online--some say Norkent is ready a week after Goodland, others say two or three weeks before. What is your experience with this?

I'm trying to figure out whether Norkent will ripen properly in my short-season garden. Goodland is right on the edge--only about 50% of the time will it ripen here before a serious freeze turns it to mush.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I find both will ripen about the same time.
Last year I had some people in the U pick when both were ready, they loved the Goodland,..me the other hand love the Norkent, also keeps way longer crisp in storage.

Normally, the first couple of frost are not deep freezes, apples can take around minus 3C. Sometimes after a light frost the wheather can be very nice for another couple of weeks, finishing off these late apples, ...so don't panic when a light frost comes around.

This post was edited by konrad___far_north on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 1:56

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 1:50AM
ziggro

Konrad, thanks for the info!

I understand about the earlier, light frosts...we can actually get them here at any time through the summer. When I'm talking about a "serious freeze," I mean one that ends the growing season, from -6 to -8 C. Often we'll get a freeze like that here before the last week of September...and in half of the years, my Goodlands won't be ripe yet by that point.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 4:20PM

It seems your climate is very similar when I heard your Evans cherry are ready to pick, same here, this weekend I will pick some.
By mid Sept. usually most is ready to pick,..even when not fully ripe on the tree, take them into storage, [they store much longer then ripe fruits] in a couple of weeks they taste nice.
Norkent taste very decant when seeds are not fully brown. Goodland the other hand taste pretty harsh from the tree.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 8:44PM
ziggro

Thanks, Konrad, you pretty well answered my concerns. I have a small Norkent in the ground that won't fruit for several years, but now I think I'll add a couple more of them.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:59PM

It's not really the year for apples,..resting, but one tree with only 2 Norkent I picked today and ready to eat.

Seeds just starting to turn brown.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 2:58AM
More Discussions
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™