Avocado wilt

DunedinDan(z9b FL)February 3, 2013

I think we have the red bay wilt on our avocado. No frosts recently and branches are slowly dropping leaves. A neighbor's looks the same. Another neighbor's looks fine though.

Anyone have experience with this? Are there any ways to stop it or is the tree a goner? If so, would it come back from the stump?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Dunedindan,

With the bays and the ambrosia beetle that cause it the canopy generally turns brown all at once. Tomorrow go look at the trunk for toothpick shaped objects (frass) sticking straight out of the tree. If it has it the tree is done sadly.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 7:13PM
natives_and_veggies(10b)

I've got spiral whitefly in my yard (a different problem) and I'm watching various plants deal with it. Some recover. I'm going to lose some things I'm pretty sure. But I let a croton go completely bald and it came back from the dead a year later, which makes me think that I need to ride this out with each plant to see what can survive.
Not sure if that helps, but unless it's threatening to fall on your house, it might be worth it to ride it out and see what happens.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 9:49PM
DunedinDan(z9b FL)

I don't see those tubes so maybe it's something else.
Btw... There are 2 screech owls that have been using the tree to sleep in the past few months.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:56PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Glad it does not appear to be the Ambrosia beetle. Like I said when the canopy goes brown it happens fast and it is the entire canopy. We have lost 100's of bay trees in the neighborhood to them in the past couple of years.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 8:59AM
DunedinDan(z9b FL)

FWIW, an update. The top 2/3 of the tree wilted but seemed to slow or stop spreading. I was sick of looking at it so cut of the 2/3 probably summer of 2013. Tree has come back ok so far and am hoping for it to fruit again.

A neighbor had the same thing, they cut it down to a stump and it came back. But it now has the wilt again.

Bookmark   last Tuesday at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
Any Plant Sales?
I live in the Holiday Florida area and I went to a...
juttz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™