Pulmonaria Trevi Fountain question

ostrich(3a AB)August 14, 2014

Hi everyone,

I bought several Pulmonaria Trevi Fountain from the Costco clearance last month. They have been doing well, especially considering that they were not in great shape to start with!!!

My question is, the plants I got never had any silver spots on them. I thought they were just not so healthy leaves so when the new ones came out, they would have the characteristic silver spots. NO! As the new leaves come out now, they are all just solid dark green. Could it just be that it's the first year in ground? Or would they have mislabeled these ones at Costco?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbiecz3(z3MB)

I was wondering if they need cooler spring conditions to bring out their colouring but if they didn't even have any spots when you purchased them that seems not quite right. Perhaps reversion to an original plain green rootstock? Just speculation. I don't think Ive ever seen a pulmonaria with just green leaves.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 10:12AM
donna_in_sask

I have never seen a solid green leafed lungwort either. One thing about growing them...if it doesn't seem to be thriving, move it to another location. Mine were in too sunny a spot and they barely lived. I moved them to morning sun and they are thriving. I find heucheras and astilbes are the same, you need to give them the right conditions in order to do well; some other perennials are a lot more forgiving.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 11:58AM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Let me guess, shovel prune?

SCG

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 12:38PM
debbiecz3(z3MB)

I came across a solid green pulmonaria- check out mollis Samobor pulmonaria. Said to grow quite large: 1-2 ft.

Bookmark   August 20, 2014 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
What variety of Rose might survive in Mid Coast Maine?
I recently moved to Mid Coast Maine (I'm @ 1/2 hour...
mao53
Cilantro tricks?
Does anyone have any advice to get more leaves out...
northspruce
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
Posting a picture from photobucket.
Over in the hosta forum I've learned how to post a...
north53 Z1b MB
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™