Need dwarf varieties to keep fig trees small?

steve_digsJuly 18, 2006

Hello,

All this talk of propogation has me a bit giddy. I have an established (~8 year) fig tree of 15-20' of unknown variety, although I suspect Desert King and have a new Spanish Black (Black Spanish?) in a container, but I'd love more!

I'd love to try more varieties, but my 50 x 100' lot demands very small trees or ones that are container-compatible.

Can I propogate larger trees and just keep them small with aggressive pruning and still get a decent amount of fruit, or should I stick w/ varieties that the catalogs say are good for 'container culture.'? I fear that aggressive pruning will mean small breba crop.

P.S. Would love any tips on good tasting, dwarf-compatible varieties that have a skin that is black, purple or red (i.e., not green).

Many thanks!

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herman2_gw

You Do The agresive pruning after Breba gets ripe,so you do not loose anything,and still keep it small.I hope this Help.

Bookmark   July 18, 2006 at 9:35PM
eukofios

This information is probably relevant to you since I live in the Portland area.

Petite negri probably stays under 8 feet tall, 6 feet if you prune it well. Mine is about 5 1/2 feet tall and has lots of figs on it now. It is 5 years old. I do use the summer pruning method (clip the end when new branches reach 6 leaves) to stimulate figs and branching / size management. Others have written about this method on gardenweb.

I also have a Brown Turkey in a 1/2 barrel-type container that has about 25 figs on it now, trained at about 4 feet tall by the same method - it has Brown figs that are fairly good. Also, and what I think is a Brunswick, planted in the ground, trained at about 5 feet tall, which has about 20 figs on it now(it is in its 3rd year from a small cutting) which has bronze colored figs with amber interior - better, I think, than the Brown Turkeys.

Contact me off line if you want a start from Petite Negri - I have a small one from a cutting in a contiainer now, and another one that I stuck into the ground this spring that is starting to grow as well - mine seemed to start slowly but this year it is doing great. It's black, red interior, and has a good flavor.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 12:35AM
pitangadiego(San Diego, CA)

If you are willing to sacrifice the breba crop, you can prune agressively enough to only add 3-5" to the height of the tree each season.

Bookmark   July 20, 2006 at 10:48PM
nanelle_gw(9/Sunset 14)

good tasting, dwarf-compatible varieties that have a skin that is black, purple or red

How about "Black Jack"; may be the same as Petite Negri?

Bookmark   July 23, 2006 at 12:57PM
gorgi(z7a_NJ)

NO way!...

Bookmark   July 23, 2006 at 3:12PM
steve_digs

Nanelle, Pitangdiego, Eukofios, and Herman, thanks for your feedback.

Steve

Bookmark   July 28, 2006 at 2:02AM
More Discussions
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
I think I poisoned all my new baby figs :/
I had decided to lightly fertilize all my new batch...
Aaron
Looking at Bare Plants
Was in garage looking at the bare plants (dormant)...
dieseler
Hardy Chicago
Been enjoying ripe figs from our inground Hardy Chicago and...
dieseler
is this fig mosaic virus?
Hi, I just bought this Panache fig tree a couple weeks...
merriberri
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™