My Garden

toomanyprojects(10a/10)February 23, 2013

Hello all you Florida gardeners! I have been inspired by all who post here so I though I would share what is happening in my garden. I have been reading all your posts for a while now and because you all have such wonderful gardens even in the hotter months I was inspired to try it all over again! I ordered heirloom seeds and started it all from seed and decided to do permanent raised beds instead of in ground. So far I am very happy with the results. I have used Azomite and Foundation and compost, some chicken poop, black cow and peat. Each bed is a little different in composition so it is a big experiment! Tomatoes are so prolific we have been cutting off growths and potting them and they are growing too! So far I am liking this experiment! thanks to you all for being here and posting!! Hope the pictures come through although it looks like I have to post them one at a time. Marla

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whgille(FL 9b)

Marla

Nice looking garden, keep up with the good work!

Silvia

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 1:19PM
toomanyprojects(10a/10)

Thank you Silvia. You are the main reason I planted differently. I saw all your posts in the early heat of dead summer and you were still growing such good things in your garden! I love your purple peas and would love to know where you get those seeds! I never have much luck with peas. Also the Cuban oregano. I had a neighbor from Cuba when I lived in south FL who gave me some and I really enjoyed cooking with it. I think I might find it at a nursery but definitely not in the box stores! I am looking forward to seeing how my garden turns out this year and so far it is very healthy!
Marla

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:15PM
whgille(FL 9b)

Marla

I am letting the purple snap peas dry on the vine to be able to collect some seeds for future plantings. The seed company where I got it, don't have any available now since is a new variety.

This season, one of my best peas for shelling are the Sabre peas from Renee Gardens, they are so prolific! I pick them every day, they are about 3 feet and I have them holding with short sticks.

The Cuban oregano it is very easy to grow from cuttings.

Sabre peas today

Silvia

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 12:52PM
abnorm(Orlando)

If you would like some Cuban Oregano......send me an email via my name/profile .......include your postal mailing address

Welcome to the forum......consider adding your email to your profile here at GW

doug and pam

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 1:07PM
toomanyprojects(10a/10)

Silvia your peas are wonderful! Mine never get higher than 12" or so and never make much more than a few mini "snow peas" to show for it. I think I need a better variety. I will look into yours for next year.

Doug and Pam I would so love to have that oregano in my garden again! Will try to send you my email and thank you so very much!!
Marla

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 9:54PM
abnorm(Orlando)

HiYa Marla.....I'll send them out....

You list your USDA Zone as 7B but your address is Sebastian..... something's wrong......that's too low....

doug

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 6:49AM
toomanyprojects(10a/10)

Thank you for the oregano! They are in water now but will be in soil tomorrow. I had great luck with it in south FL and it was easy to grow and great to cook with! Will send back something for you! Yes I put down the wrong zone. I thought I was 9b but looks like 10b now. Thanks again!!
Marla

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Central Florida Vegetables
Broke the rules a bit, and put my tomato transplants...
cfldoc
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Pics of recycle pipe and my garden
Hello to all of my gardening friends! This past year...
organic_elizabeth_b
New small bed
Hello. New here, not to gardening but new to landscaping....
Biinaboo, Zone 10, Naples, Gulf Coast
To garyfla_gw, need help
garyfla_gw can you contact me @ coowpoow@gmail. I have...
halfwaythere1
Sponsored Products
Compass Pool Mat - 59" dia.
$250.00 | FRONTGATE
LEDme 4" Round Trim with Baffle by WAC Lighting
$34.50 | Lumens
TropiShade 9-foot Green Umbrella Shade
Overstock.com
aTool Suspension by Ingo Maurer
$1,310.00 | Lumens
6' Treated Pine Trestle Garden Bench
Fifthroom.com