Non heading cabbage

catlover_gardenerFebruary 23, 2012

I planted some cabbage seedlings and they have grown big.

But the problem is that I see no heads. They have curled loosely in the middle, but the outside leaves are massive and fan-like. When is the heading going to happen?

Is it that I have the non heading type. I got them at HD as seedlings. From Bonnie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deannac(9b/S26/H10/Oviedo)

Cabbage (from my experience) has to be planted in Dec at the latest and MUST have cold to form heads. I use Copenhagen Market cabbage seed and have always had fabulous results...sometimes the plants in box stores aren't zoned for us. Even if they don't head, the leaves are perfectly edible and of course, taste just like they should. Careful not to wet the leaves when watering, they tend to wilt and then brown. I'm thinking it's probably the plant is not zoned for our heat/humidity... We didn't have any cold to speak of this year..my blueberries didn't even bloom.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 12:18PM
sumala(9 fl)

How long have they been in place? How far apart did you plant them?

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 12:26PM
sumala(9 fl)

deannac, gotta disagree with you about the correct way to water cabbage. Cabbage plant leaves are perfectly designed to funnel water directly to the center of the plant at the base. Some other plants also grow that way.

Any plants that seem to gather and direct water flow, I water accordingly. I do try to water early in the day so the leaves have ample time to dry.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 12:57PM
deannac(9b/S26/H10/Oviedo)

It must be my horrible well water then. If it rains on the cabbage, it's fine (I know exactly what you mean about the leaves funneling water. Looking at them, you can tell they work exactly the same way a brom would for instance).

Every time I've slacked and used sprinklers on the garden, everything does beautifully except the cabbage. The bottom leaves wilt and then rot...it looks bizarre, fat round cabbages with NO outer leaves, lol...like little green volley balls! This has happened with every variety of cabbage I've ever grown, with the exception of bok choy, which I'm not really fond of...figures.

Thanks for the info...I hate to think that I've given someone information that's not correct!

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 2:24PM
catlover_gardener

I lost this post and stumbled over it again.
I am sorry I took so long to reply.
Thanks for all the posts. I have three in a rectangular pot. AThey have been in place now for six weeks or more now and they have huge leaves, are curling in the centre a bit, but not tight. Sometimes they get watered every other day, bz the sun hits them a bit, but all I really have are huge leaves. I am tempted to cut the leaves and use like collards.
It has been hot down here esp some days, and then interspersed with one or two cold days. They are planted about 8" apart, but now that they are big they crowd each othere.

thanks again.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 9:35AM
sumala(9 fl)

You may have other problems but spacing sounds like a definite one. A mature plant can easily be over 2 foot wide and what you see above ground is only half of the story. The roots need plenty of room too.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Anyone have a azalea (coronado red)?
I picked up a couple at Home Depot yesterday (yes...
Debo214
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
mature mango tree help
This will be our 3rd season in this house with a mature...
halfwaythere
need seeds
i was wondering if anyone can send me some seeds to...
the2015farmer
Lubbers!!!
I can't believe it, I've got lubbers hatching today....
katkin_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™