Will figs grow in Michigan?

riverman777July 26, 2008

Greetings to all. I'm new to gardening and new to Michigan.

I'm from Florida, and enjoyed the fig preserves my mother would make. I bought a small place near Owosso, with some wonderful apple trees and such. If possible I would like to plant some figs up here, but I don't know a soul in these parts and not sure if this is possible. Thanks for any help. Michael

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chills71(Zone 6b Mi)

yes, depending upon your climate (I'm not originally from Mi, so I'm not sure where Owosso is) and how much work you're willing to do to grow figs, it is possible.

I'm in Saint Clair Shores (which puts me North-east of Detroit, and north of Canada) and I have one fig in the ground and a number of figs in pots. The one in the ground needs to be protected each winter and the potted ones are brought inside and stored in a cold-preserving room off of my basement for the winter. There are a number of ways of protecting in-ground planted figs over-winter, and they all require a bit of work. Potted might be a good place to start if you have a place to keep the fig in the winter (an attached, unheated garage can be a viable option).

You'll find there are a few of us in this forum growing figs in Michigan (and at least one that I can recall in Chicago as well).

~Chills

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 10:46PM
riverman777

Sounds like the fig prefers a warmer climate I guess. I was hoping maybe for a hybrid perhaps that proformed well in colder climates. Maybe I should consider a native fruit tree. Thanks again. Do you know of a web resource for native michigan fruit trees that do well?

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 12:40AM
chills71(Zone 6b Mi)

Have you ever heard of a pawpaw?

There are lots of fruit trees and shrubs that will grow well in Michigan.

Check the link for an option you probably aren't already familiar with!

~Chills

PS...I'd also check other online nurseries. Burnt Ridge nursery is a favorite of mine

Here is a link that might be useful: tollgate gardens nursery

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 10:26AM
dieseler

Chills is right on in the response. riverman i live near chicago, i grow in large home depot plastic pots and bring in each winter after a hard frost hit them. I have attached garage a little warmer than being unattached.If putting in a garage may i suggest setting pots up on 2x4s so there off the cold ground. Or you can go thru the tedious procedure of knocking tree over and making what i call a gravesite for the fig tree and wrap with burlap and cover with leaves and dirt. After hold is dig put sopme plywood to fig then wrapped tree on top of that it makes it a lot easier for one in the springtime. Try growing a fig tree a challenge but for me rewarding fruits.
Best of Luck
Martin

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
Easy propagation method
I may have posted this before but I've read a number...
leon_edmond
Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree (indoor) help!
I bought a fiddle leaf fig tree from home depot just...
desdurso
looking for smoche fig cutting
Hi, I got a smoche fig plant from a guy in NC a few...
chickenfeedfarm
Trade blueberries for figs (cuttings) 25 for 1
Hi, I am new to this forum and have become recently...
j-a-k-e
Just checking -- maintaining figs at shrub size
I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping a couple...
Kristin
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Angelo:HOME Gold 3' 3" x 5' 3"
Home Depot
Fresh From the Garden Salad Bowl
$32.99 | Dot & Bo
Plant & Grow Geometric Hanging Terrariums
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs angelo:HOME Old Gold 8 ft. x
Home Depot
American Fyre Designs Large Firefall - 691-CB-12-V4PC-NAT
Hayneedle