Best Soil Medium for newly rooted fig cuttings

italybpJuly 13, 2014

Hello Everyone,
I'm new to growing figs and have learned a lot through trial and error and ofcourse lots of research and questions. At this point I have several cuttings of different variteys that have already been rooted and are in clear plastic cups. I used 60 percent perlite and 40 percent vermiculite for medium and they have done extreemly well with lots of strong rooting. My next step is to transplant them into 1 gallon pots, first off I can use some advice on this and more importantly what is the best medium for this, I have done some reading on the subject and to my understanding it should still have good draining until the tree reaches a certain maturity level. With that being said I'm assuming I can use a mix similar to I have now but with a few different variations, again this is my own gathering and can be completely wrong so that's where you guys come in with your expert opinions.
Just some back ground information:
All my trees will be container kept.
I live in Wilmington Delaware in Zone 7
The variteys I have are: Desert King, Black Mission, Texas Blue Giant, Peters Honey and Brown Turkey.
Thanks in advance
Brian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
richdel

Hello Brian, I also live in Wilmington DE, and I am going through the same steps as you, but a step or two behind. I have 5 cuttings of Sicilian Red that I still have in plastic bags, but have very goods roots starting to show on 4 of them. My next step is getting them into cups of perlite/vermiculite mix. When you did this, did you control the humidity by putting them into a container or ziploc? How often did you water when they were in this state.

I did some advance reading and found that one grower said while in cups, he used a 60% perlite/40% vermiculite, then when up-potting to 1 gallon pots he used 50% hummus and 50% perlite. I have three that I purchased that I currently have in 1 gallon pots of 50/50 hummus/perlite. Two of the three have a small fruit on them, but there hasn't been much growth in the last month. It may be due to the fruit, but I am reluctant to remove it. I did just find a small brown scale/oyster scale problem on 2 of the 3 plants. Used my fingernail to remove all of it, but keeping a close eye to see if there were any eggs. Maybe that had something to do with the slow growth. I also have just started fertilizing, trying to induce some growth.

I will be interested to see what responses you get.

Richdel

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 8:31AM
More Discussions
I'm Back
Hello all
Aaron
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
Italian Honey
She was all fine on till August 2014 and then look...
bluemoonlight
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
Fig picture
Testing the picture function . Drag and drop from computer...
dieseler
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™