Pumila Pampas Grass

canadian_daisyAugust 19, 2008

I ordered the Dwarf pampas grass from T&T Seeds this year and am treating it as an outdoor potted plant, to be stored inside for the winter. It is in full sun and growing well so far, and some buds have started to appear.

My question is, what are the buds supposed to look like? What I have sure doesn't look like they could turn into those silver-white plumes you see advertised, so I'm wondering if I have the wrong plant.

Has anyone in the 2-3 Zones tried this plant and have you been successful in getting it to flower?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchidguy4ever(4a)

The dwarf pampas grass when in sheath does not look like the larger varieties. Most tend to be more sparse and more muddy in colour

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 8:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadian_daisy

Thank you orchidguy for the info.

I did some further research on the internet and one site states that pampas grass flowers are dioecious (individual flowers are either male or female, but only one sex is to be found on any one plant) and that only the female plants produce those large plume-like flowers.

It looks like I might have the male plant which would explain the sheaths you describe. I wish I'd known that before buying it.

Helene (canadian daisy)

Bookmark   August 26, 2008 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Heat Mats
How many of you use a heat mat for seed germination? Our...
nutsaboutflowers
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
Apricots in Flower
Capilano Apricot trees in Edmonton, picture from today. One...
Konrad___far_north
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™