Does Anyone Buy Fall Mums ?

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)August 13, 2009

I walked past a ton of Fall Mums at the store the other day and was tempted to buy some. I'd like to lengthen my flowering season because it started so late.

I have no intention of trying to keep them over the winter. Are they going to get a lot of aphids? Is that maybe why I haven't bought them before? I can't remember my reasoning from last year.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

I have bought mums in the past three years and found them to be reliable perennials so far. Never an issue with any bugs and never have I fussed over them. I have yellow, pink, white, orange and burgundy ones. They seem to be doing pretty good so far this year as well.

Ginny

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 12:15AM
marricgardens

I used to stay away from mums. I always considered them to be 'funeral flowers'. Everytime you went to a funeral you saw lots of mums. When I started gardening, I started buying them because they give a gorgeous splash of color to the fall bed. Like honalee, I have had them come back reliably every year and never seen bugs on them. We just got our usual pack of flyers and I saw that the garden center has them on sale for $3. Time to buy some more. Marg

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 7:55AM
twrosz

I had picked up a few plants at Home Depot last year, they both wintered, though the one got trampled to death this spring. The remaining plant has budded up, though they're far from opening. If it flowers before frost, I'll then consider purchasing more plants next year.

Tigertail and Firestorm, are excellent mums from Jeffries ...

Terry

Bookmark   August 15, 2009 at 1:40AM
tanja_r

I have limited garden space and I buy mums quite often. In the fall I put them in a nice pot and fill a spot in the garden left by earlier blooming plants that I have cut back. Keeps the garden looking cheery for much longer, and I've never had any problems. I must admit, the few I have have planted in the ground have not come back for me. There's so many beautiful varieties to choose from!

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 1:46PM
shazam_z3

Morden mums are the hardiest and should bloom early for most places.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 3:53PM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Did you know that the F word used in this post is really bad at this time of year ?

Just as bad as the word rain in some parts of the country right now =:)

Ha! ha!

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 4:44PM
north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)

Never mind the F word, I think I heard the S word on the weather network today! In the middle of July!

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 5:46PM
weeper_11(2b SK)

Yes, I love my mums! I have Morden Delight, Tigertail, Firestorm, Dreamweaver, Showbiz, and am looking forward to getting more! I think their flowers look awesome from later summer on, with nice healthy foliage all summer. I've never had any trouble with bugs, iron chlorosis, or anything else with these plants. They definitely benefit from pinching early on in the summer, and not too much fertilizer. They bloom tons if you fertilize, but the stems are quite floppy and it makes the plant look messy.

They don't need much water either; just decent drainage. Buy them!

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Toka plum almost ready to flower in calgary
Like the title says today I was doing my pruning for...
mattpf
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Trying new tree varieties and update on rare trees
Hey everyone, What are some of the trees you've all...
www.eclipselandscaping.ca
Muckle Plum
This is an interesting ornamental landscaping tree...
ziggro
Sponsored Products
Eight Light On Rectangular Plate Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
Jackie Throw Pillow - Orange & Pink
$31.99 | Dot & Bo
Classic Quarry 58" Jera Slate Copper Patina Wall Fountain
Lamps Plus
King's Table Wall Sconce No. 1310 by Feiss
$90.00 | Lumens
Wing Style Chair & Ottoman-White - 100% Italian Leather
IFN Modern