Wild Oxalis, aka Sourgrass

schoolhouse_gwJuly 1, 2013

The bane of my existence used to be Shotweed, but the Oxalis is rampant in my garden and everywhere on my property this year. Have always had it but I guess all the rain we've had since Spring has made it grow leaps and bounds. I'm forever pulling the stuff, seems like the next day it's right back! This is the one with the small yellow bloom. Mine can get very tall and almost shrub like if I don't catch it looming under the daylilies. And it seems to love growing under my boxwood hedge.

The wild violets are just as evasive this year despite pulling gobs in the Fall and this Spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_bassetlvr(6/7)

What's that saying? If you can't beat it, Eat it! Oxalis and violets are both edible. Also Garlic mustard- my bane. I like oxalis tossed with dandelion greens & ferns-fiddleheads & simple oil, vinegar & lemon dressing.. Garlic mustard is too strong for me, as are ramps. If I get enough rain there will be 2 or 3 morels by the creek. The same flood that brought the garlic mustard brought the morels.
Susan

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 5:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schoolhouse_gw

We used to eat "Sourgrass" when we were kids but just for fun, not actually in a recipe. My dad and mom always talked about eating dandelion greens but never heard them mention the fiddleheads, altho I know they are edible. What part of the violet is edible? just the bloom? My violets are no longer blooming - just growing - and BIG.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Good Saturday morning, Cottagers! Spring is definitely...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Hardiness zone
How do I place my hardiness zone next to my name? ...
marielle(zone4b-5a)
New Rose I hope to get - Night Owl climbing rose
Hey all you PURPLE freaks out there. Here is the rose...
sweetannie4u
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Well, good Saturday morning, Cottagers. It is a brilliantly...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Aftermidnight (and others please) question
Hi Annette, I am finding this Houzz hard to navigate...
duncandotty
Sponsored Products
Domus Ventures Luxor Conversation Set - Seats 4 - 580HN
Hayneedle
Quoizel Wesley 36" Wide Italian Fresco Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Quantum Stainless Steel Four-Light Clear Spectra Crystal Pendant Light, 5.5W x 9
$966.00 | Bellacor
Zoo Area Rug - 2'x 3'
Grandin Road
Wild Style Purple 2-piece Bath Rug Set
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Area Rug: Wild Ivory 8' x 11'
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™