Good Daylilies

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)August 12, 2012

Three daylilies were noteworthy for me this year. It was generally not a good year for daylilies but these surprised me.

Lilting Belle has bloomed for a month straight, and has really nice noticeable blooms on tall but not too tall stems.

This is something old and cheap from a plant sale. I thought it was Sammy Russell but it's bigger and less orange. It's such a perfect glowing red colour, I love it. And very high bud count.

And I'm always fascinated by Matt (thanks Laurie) for its fat multicoloured flowers. Too bad the stems are very short but it's a good one too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beegood_gw

Beautiful lilies. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 11:32AM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Nice photos =:) I really like the color of the "old and cheap" one.

I'm thrilled with my Omomuki this year. Huge thick blooms with lots of ruffles, and they bloomed their faces off. I must have had at least 70 blooms from those two. None of the pictures I've seen on the web do it justice. One of these days I'll be able to post pictures....

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 5:37PM
twrosz

That first one really catches my eye ... it's NICE!

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 12:18AM
debbiecz3(z3MB)

I really like the bold red daylily but all are nice. In my garden a standout this year was El Desperado; alot of my daylilies had a very short season of bloom this year but this variety has been blooming for a while and the color is very striking.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 11:53AM
weeper_11(2b SK)

Love Lilting Belle; I'm a big fan of cascading spiders/UFO's like that.

My best daylily this year and probably every year is Starman's Quest. I love the unusual color, it is tall, has dark lush foliage that pretty much never gets leaf streak, and it has many, many blooms. One of the first to start and one of the last to finish. Awesome! Plus, the flowers are pretty much always perfect.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 9:10AM
jel48(Z4 Michigan)

They're all beautiful. I'd love to have any or all of them in my garden :-)

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 1:32PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Debbie, my El Desperado is doing quite well this year too. Most of the others have not bloomed at all, or very little. I look forward to Silent Sentry's beautiful blooms every year but that's one that hasn't bloomed.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 9:07AM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

All beautiful, Gil! Thank you for sharing!

My daylilies have done pretty good this year, surprisingly. Maybe cause we finally had some sun and heat! I'm still organizing pics. Many are still blooming and have already outdone themselves. Very impressed!

I don't think there is a flower I don't like and all daylilies are beautiful in my eyes. I must admit that I am not partial to spiders or UFO's but I sure like Lilting Belle! Oh boy, I really need more land! :)

Ginny

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 11:07AM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

I'm glad Matt is still going strong for you! I loved how thick the petals were. Lilting Belle is gorgeous! I love the spiders too, as they catch the breeze and just have a life of their own. Skinwalker is my fav spider as it's so tall you can see it from anywhere in the yard.:)

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 5:15PM
More Discussions
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
What variety of Rose might survive in Mid Coast Maine?
I recently moved to Mid Coast Maine (I'm @ 1/2 hour...
mao53
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™