Ginny - iris question - or anyone else

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)August 14, 2013

I'm asking Ginny because I know you have a lot of irises and I found an old thread where you were answering Marg about the iris in question.

My mom has a big white TB iris that she has lost the name of. It would probably be a fairly old one, and I'm thinking it could be Immortality. It looks right and 1982 would be about the right time frame because she bought it at a plant sale in about 2000.

Mom's iris has the weirdest scent. She thinks it smells delightful but I think it reeks. It's a sweet spicy smell that smells *to me* like corned beef. She doesn't think it smells like corned beef.

Anyway, if you or anyone else grows Immortality, could you describe the scent to me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Oh my dear...... I have about 4 patches of Immortality.....groves maybe. It is definitely scented and like many irises (and lilies for that matter) it may be described as having a strong scent, especially in the sun. Another one that comes to mind that can be a bit much is Bosenberry Buttercup and even I don't like that one. I guess it is individual preference. I think Saturday Night Live smells like Dr. Pepper! And really like oriental lily Conca D'Or but can hardly tolerate the scent! ???

So if it smells like corned beef to you, I would suggest you leave it in Mom's garden. :)

Ginny

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:17AM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Ahhh man I come here to learn about iris's and I leave wanting a sandwich and a cola.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:45AM
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

You are funny Lance!!!

Ginny

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:50AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Lance - LOL!

Ginny - so it increases pretty well? Mom's does too. Sometime I'll dig up a photo and maybe you can yea or nay it.

Funny, I think of myself as a rose gal, but I was just updating my database and I have more varieties of irises than roses. Weird!

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™