Floriade 2012

Thyme2dig NH Zone 5July 27, 2012

Hi All, I've been away for a bit so I can't wait to go through all the posts to see what everyone has been up to and peruse some beautiful pictures.

I was at Floriade 2012 in The Netherlands last week and thought I would share the photos if anyone is interested. It was a very light, festive mood with all sorts of neat displays and whimsy. Really quite a treat. There's lots of photos in the link! Hope you enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Floriade 2012

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

What an interesting place both plantings wise and architecturally. Another to add to my list. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 9:06PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

I should have added that Floriade is a once every ten years event that is in a different place in The Netherlands each time. It would be interesting to go back in another 10 years.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 1:29PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

It had the flavor of a World's Fair type of event to me, so not surprised that it is only every 10 years. Thanks for noting that.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 3:05PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Susan -

Thanks for sharing. I enjoy your garden travel photos!

I wonder if you know how long the preparation for this took. Was it planted last year for this year's display? What was the land like before the exhibit and what will happen to it after?

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 12:33PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Hi Barb, Glad you enjoyed them! I heard it took 2 about years to prepare but I was unable to get a confirmation on that. Spring bulbs were planted in the fall of 2010. They worked the surrounding landscape into the park. The existing forests separated the themes w/in the park. Once Floriade is closed the area is going to become the Venlo Green Park which will include businesses in the area. There is already an urban development plan in place.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 5:18PM
mantis__oh

What was the weather like in Holland? Has the Continent been fairly normal this year. Thanks for sharing these pics. Everything looks fairly tall, perhaps typical for this time of year. Did you get any ideas that could be transferred here?

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 5:46PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Hi Mantis, weather is normally sunny and about 72 this time of year. It was cloudy/rainy and 65 most days. They said it hadn't stopped raining since May. Very abnormal for them.

Honestly, I didn't bring home too many ideas from what I had seen. Sure, if I had a huge area where I could replicate some of their long sweeps that would be great. Overall it was eye-candy. Perhaps as I ponder my pictures something will pop into mind that I can put to use in my garden. I found that with the Chelsea Flower Show, while much more prim and proper so to speak, I brought home many ideas from that.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 5:01PM
More Discussions
Jane's work in progress
Jane emailed me a picture of the project she's still...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Weekend Trivia - Saturday
Good Saturday morning, Cottagers!! A few of us having...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
An Irish Cottage Garden.
Not my own Irish Cottage Garden this time,..i have...
nulty
Gardenweb and the Houzz Team.
I know Gardenweb is now part of the Houzz Team,..however...
nulty
Building my Irish Shed
Hi everyone, I've been admiring all the lovely garden...
camaria
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™