How to pack ficus lyrata for a long international flight

nuzgreenAugust 29, 2014

Hi,

I bought two potted fiddle leaf figs from Ikea a week ago. I drove 300kms for them. I love them very much. They are about 3 feet tall. I want to bring them to Vietnam, where I will live for a while. The trip will be roughly 30hrs (connecting and waiting time included).

I want to know whether the plants will survive the trip. And what are the best way to pack & proctect them for the trip.

I am an absolute newbie. Concrete instructions would be much appreciated.

Thank you for helpful advice.

Cheers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ampersand12

I don't have much to say in regards to packing it...but make sure you can even take the plants to Vietnam. Many countries have restrictions on bringing in live plant material.

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 1:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville

Ampersand is right....I'd be very surprised if Vietnam will let you just carry live plants into the county without permits. I know if you were coming to the U.S. it wouldn't be nearly that simple and probably not even possible. You might have much better luck just packing them very well into a box and sending them via some international package delivery service (fed ex, DHL, etc). But even then you'll be asked if the package contains live plants and fibbing about it could get you in some real trouble. I certainly wouldn't risk Vietnam prison for a few figs. You can probably google Vietnam agriculture importation or the like and find out how to get permission, go through quarantine, etc. Good luck...and be careful. You don't want to get stopped at customs with undeclared live plants! I once accidently brought an apple into the U.S. on an international flight and when they found it they literally treated it and me as if it was a bomb!! They took it extremely serious and I'm lucky I didn't end up with a huge fine. good luck.

Bookmark   September 3, 2014 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Celeste Figs - Trees or bushes?
Is there only 1 variety of Celeste Fig, or does it...
pcbaulch
Should I prune this?
Hi, Northeast LA. Sunset 20, zone 10 I just transplanted...
Matthew Grayson
Figs not growing further after fruit set?
I bought three fig trees (Adam, Cape Brown and White...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
looking for smoche fig cutting
Hi, I got a smoche fig plant from a guy in NC a few...
chickenfeedfarm
Negronne 2014
Pictures are from one tree but two different fig fruit....
bluemoonlight
Sponsored Products
Blue 18-Oz. Brew 2 Go Tumbler
$11.99 | zulily
Atelier P Wall Sconce by Leucos Lighting
$739.53 | Lumens
Stacy Garcia Chevron Pride Pink Plug-In Swing Arm Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Oushak Collection 8x10 Rust Red Pakistani Chobi Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H7229
BH Sun Inc
Mosaic Tile: MS International Building Materials Pine Valley 12 in. x 12 in. x
$9.48 | Home Depot
Dimond D1609 Logan Table Lamp - D1609
$130.00 | Hayneedle
Copeland Satin Nickel One-Light Mini Pendant
$136.00 | Bellacor
Edison Vintage Industrial 40W Tall Tungsten E27 Long Bulb
$0.99 | ParrotUncle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™