What temperature

foolishpleasureAugust 16, 2010

OK after I dig the pots of my Figs from the garden soil and take them to the Garage during winter. My garage floor is concrete but I put Boards of wood under the pots. I have a barometer in the garage and a small heater. I can fairly control the temperature in the Garage. The question is how many degrees I am thinking to 40 F. Is that good enough.

Also Watering I am thing of 8 ounce of water per Pot monthly. Is that good too?

This the first time I do that for Figs I did it for Banana. The Banana need 55 F so I will keep the Banana in separate place. I think 55 F will be too much for Figs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

40° is cold enough for fig dormancy. As far as watering, it will not require much watering at all. If the tree in a large pot, just water it when you store it away, usually after a hard frost. when fully dormant, potted figs can take temperatures down to -25° as long as the wood is not soft.

Bass

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 5:12AM
organic_aer1(NJ 6)

Hi Bass

Why can potted figs take temps. to -25 when the in ground plants would die?

Al

Z6 NJ

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 7:26AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

It rarely gets 40 degrees here, and my fig still goes dormant. 50 is as low as it goes (with the exception of 40 every 9 years), and the figs, palms, grapes, dates, citrus and olives all thrive.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 10:46AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

The ideal over-wintering temperature range is from 32* to 42*.

It's best not to think in terms of what your trees will tolerate, because roots don't all die at the same temperatures. The more lignified the root, the greater it's cold-hardiness; so, while the organism as a whole might tolerate root temperatures in the low 20s, it's a sure bet that a significant fraction of the roots will be lost along the way. Even here in Mid-MI, 6" soil temperatures on agricultural acreage (no cover - bare earth) almost NEVER drop below 25*, no matter how cold the winter or prolonged the cold spell. If they did, a significant number of our in situ trees would be affected.

Al

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 11:18AM
foolishpleasure

Thank you all. First time for me to raise Figs. I will keep the temperature at 40 or little below. It may range from 35-40. As you know it is very difficult to keep specific temperature in unheated Garage.

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 2:37PM
dieseler

It is hard to control. Several seasons back we had a good ole fashion winter .
Garage temper hovered 6 to 8 degree's then in the low to mid teens for a couple weeks.
Martin

Bookmark   August 16, 2010 at 4:07PM
More Discussions
I think I poisoned all my new baby figs :/
I had decided to lightly fertilize all my new batch...
Aaron
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
I just bought a fig tree!!
Hi all, I recently bought a fig tree, a "Lattarula"...
mssfiggy
Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree (indoor) help!
I bought a fiddle leaf fig tree from home depot just...
desdurso
Black Madeira
In my old oven :) M
bluemoonlight
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™