another bromeliad bloom

hester_2009February 6, 2012

This is one of my favorites---just beginning to bloom and should have many more spikes. Even the small pups I have are blooming.

I wish I remembered the name or where I got it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Lovely, Hester! Red on red is striking. Is the foliage that red all year? By the way, I went to your nursery with my husband a few days ago and we came home with a few things. My DH couldn't resist an old man palm. One of the few plants he really takes an interest in, go figure. We planted it in a primo spot in the yard- I let him have it since he hauls, digs, saws for me. He admires it every day.

Anna

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 4:53PM
wallisadi

hester, we picked up a bunch of that at the volusia county master gardeners sale two or more years ago. four or five bunches. put them in the ground, look like crap, meager blooms....yours is incredible. ours...coming out of the ground and into a pot! thanks for the pic...........m

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 10:53PM
katkin_gw

What a great idea to put those broms in a hanging pot!!! It shows off the blooms just wonderfully. In the ground, they don't show as well. I think it is a bilbergia but I don't know which one.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 7:39AM
hester_2009

Thanks all,
Anna - this plant has that maroon color all year - really nice.You can certainly have a pup anytime.Glad you went to the nursery - last time I went , they were going to compost a bunch of flax, so I took them home to be salvaged - we'll see! I put them all out back in a big group.
I'll bet your palm looks great and weren't you nice to "let" your hubby have it!!
Hester

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 8:50AM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Hester, no, really, he calls it 'his plant', and I am not attracted to it too much. I think it's just ok, but he loves it. I guess I now know how he feels about 'my' plants. And I was nice to let him have the best spot in the yard for it. I was salivating to put some pretty flowering thing there.

Yes, Joe told me you left with flax lily and I bet they'll do great for you. Your brom is awesome.

Anna

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
mature mango tree help
This will be our 3rd season in this house with a mature...
halfwaythere
Anyone have a azalea (coronado red)?
I picked up a couple at Home Depot yesterday (yes...
Debo214
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
Can Silver Buttontwood be used as espalier in a Belgium Fence design
Dear Florida Experts, I just pulled out 60 feet of...
caribbeancupcake
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
Sponsored Products
Seedhead Vase
$12.99 | Dot & Bo
Pomegranate Red Throw Pillow
$110.00 | Bellacor
Athena Alice 3 in 1 Convertible Crib - Cherry - 4689C
$249.00 | Hayneedle
Flow Leather Sectional
Opulent Items
Peony Floral Arrangement
$349.00 | FRONTGATE