When do you eat them?

catlady4444(7)August 25, 2010

Hello,

This is my 3rd year with a fig tree, and I tend to wait until they are VERY soft, often split, and they are sweet like a ripe plum and wonderful.

I traded produce yesterday with a lady I found on Craigslist who has "too many figs." Her figs are different varieties from mine. She said they are ripe, but they are somewhat firm, and not very sweet. The softer ones were minimally sweet, not very enjoyable to me. Some of them softened overnight and are much better. We have exchanged a few emails and she is confident that they are ripe and ready to eat. Is she picking them too soon? Do you eat your figs semi-soft? If they are ripe, are they at their sweetest? In other words, do you think she is eating under-ripe figs or am I eating over-ripe ones?

Thanks for your input!

Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harvey12(z7 NC)

To each his own! It is a matter of preference and fig variety. My Celeste figs are sweet as soon as they first turn brown, but my Magnolia figs are bland and tasteless until full ripe. Even the Celeste figs are much sweeter when they are dead ripe, but they are sweet and edible much sooner than the Magnolia. If your fig friend is happy with her unripe figs, let her eat them early. I would prefer to wait. There is always a trade-off. If I wait until my Magnolia figs are ripe, the birds always get them before the next day, so I tend to pick them at an unripe stage and let them ripen "on the shelf" for a day or so. Not as good, but at least I get them instead of the birds!

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 10:28AM
ejp3(7NY)

Ann, I am with you. I dont pick the figs until they start cracking, and then wait a few days. To me it is an unbelievable waste of time and energy to grow your own fig tree and then pick unripe fruit. If I did that I might as well eat the store bought figs and grow pears that ripen off tbe tree instead of figs which only ripen on the tree.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 7:59PM
catlady4444(7)

Thank you...ejp3, I think you summed it up well. I sadly must say that they got moldy before they were what I'd call enjoyable and I just threw them in the compost.

I think the lady is mad at me, but I couldn't pretend they were delicious!

Thanks for the moral support,

Ann

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 6:02AM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Ischia fig trees?
Just bought a Ischia fig tree at Lowe's. Suppose to...
Sueanne75
The Great Boulder Fig Planting Experiment
Let me first say I'm not a fan of rooting figs inside....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Fruits on Cuttings
Should I snip off these figs off the cuttings? I'm...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
Just checking -- maintaining figs at shrub size
I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping a couple...
Kristin
Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015
The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy...
Steve, Z (6Bground,5B roof) Cincy,OH
Sponsored Products
Armen Living Centennial Loveseat - LC7252AS
Hayneedle
Enclume 3-foot Hanging Oval Cooking Rack
$539.99 | FRONTGATE
Home Decorators Sisal Area Rug: Freeport Coast/Saddle 4' x 6'
$85.00 | Home Depot
Grass and Mini Cattails Silk Plant
Overstock.com
'Love' Foiled Glass Platter
$23.99 | zulily