Cupressus (Xanthocyparis) nootkatensis understock

coniferjoy(z7 The Netherlands)November 30, 2011

For next winter I've some beautiful large understock of this species.

I would like to graft something on these at about 60 till 80 cm but I don't know what is possible.

A while ago someone here showed us a schedule which other one's are related so I can see which I can pick.

If I'm not wrong it was Dax or Resin who showed it.

Please can you show it again?

Many thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pineresin

Here you are:

So: anything in Cupressus or Juniperus, and pretty good chances with anything in Calocedrus, Tetraclinis, Platycladus and Microbiota.

Resin

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 10:22AM
coniferjoy(z7 The Netherlands)

Resin, thanks for this schedule.
Now I know which one's I can graft on these for next winter...
This will become one of them:
Microbiota decussata 'Carnival'

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 5:04AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

Some guy here in the USA last I heard is growing successfully Cupressus nootkatenis grafted on Microbiota roots and his tree was 18 years old, then.

Here we use Juniper instead of Platycladus for all "Cupressus/Chamaecyparis/etc-" Platycladus works for the west coast but is a sh#t understock for my climate. Grafted nootka's die very often when purchased liner size or #1 pot from the West Coast. Our preference is Juniperus chinensis 'Hetzii'.

Dax

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 9:47AM

Dax, it's now Juniperus virginiana 'Hetz' which you've to stake to get them straight.
The nootka easy thing is that they grow very straight by themselves.
I'm going to try graftings from several species which are mentioned in the schedule, Microbiota is on of them.
Some others will be Calocedrus decurrens 'Compacta' and 'Intricata' which are dwarfs.
I also will try some Juniperus communis, horizontalis and pfitzeriana (x)
Unfortunately I've to wait for another year untill these are high and thick enough...

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 10:04AM
gardener365(5b Illinois USA)

Juniperus virginiana 'Hetz'? Why not J.v. 'Hetzii'???

Dax

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 10:25AM

Because it's renamed in 1963.
'Hezii' is a Latin written peronsname from which using is illegitimate after 1959.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 10:51AM
Ament(5a SD)

Whoa! Edwin! I love that! Very interesting color to it and usually those are not my style the arborvitae style needles just don't normally do squat for me.

But whatever that one is? Microbiota decussata 'Carnival' I guess it is? I love that one! Very nice one. =)

~Tina

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 11:50AM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

That sure is an interesting tree. Heck, I believe by looking at it that it is not hardy to here. BUT, I would be willing to even keep that one as a potted plant and drag it in and out of my greenhouse. It sure is unusual.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 9:28PM
sluice

Wow, that is nice. From Siberia?

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 11:25PM

Indeed, the species Microbiota decussata is from Siberia and is one of the most hardy conifers we known, maybe this cultivar is less lardy because of it's variegation.

The 'Carnival' shows us now it's winter colours which are a purplebrown with yellow.
In Spring it will change into green and yellow until it's getting colder in Autumn when it returns in what it now looks like.

'Carnival' is a Boyko's introduction...

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 2:10AM
tunilla

I hope the Microbiotas in Siberia won't suffer too much from the current "heatwave" over there; it is only - 40�C whereas normally it should be - 60�C !!! T.

PS I had a 'normal' one dying on me over the last two summers . Anyone growing this plant where dry/hot summers occur ?

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 4:27AM
dcsteg(5 Shawnee, KS.)

Hi T.

Send us some photos of your garden with that beautiful mountain scenery thrown in.

Microbiota decussata on high standard. This one has survived the hot Kansas summers for the last 6 years. This year was especially hot and dry. This conifer needs full sun. In my neck of the woods partial shade will not get it.

Give it another try.

Dave

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 7:36AM
pineresin

"I hope the Microbiotas in Siberia won't suffer too much from the current "heatwave" over there; it is only - 40ðC whereas normally it should be - 60ðC !!! T. "

It isn't that cold where it comes from - it occurs on the Sikhote Alin range, the hills just northeast of Vladivostok, with a fairly maritime climate compared to most of Siberia. Conditions similar to Vermont or Maine.

Resin

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 11:27AM

Resin, what condtions are these and what maximum and minimum temperatures are there?

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 3:48PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

WOW Dave, even the green one looks fantastic. Beautiful plants guys.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 4:58PM
pineresin

"Resin, what condtions are these and what maximum and minimum temperatures are there?"

There's climate data for Vladivostock here (scroll down to 'Geography'). Knock a few degrees off and increase precipitation a bit, for the higher altitudes (800-1200 m) that Microbiota grows at.

Worth adding though that Microbiota will get reliable deep snow cover in winter, so it may be less capable of withstanding cold dry conditions than one might expect (and particularly so if grafted high up as a standard).

Resin

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 7:16PM
coniflora

Most Nursery's in Oregon are using Thuja occ. for Microbiota decussata standards, including Boyko.

The only problem with using nootkatensis is that you loose some of the cold hardiness potential of Microbiota.

I regards to Calodedrus, i have successfully used thuja orientalis and cupressus leylandii as rootstock. I am not sure about the long term success of these combinations because they have ugly bulges at the graft union.

Good Luck

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 3:59PM
pineresin

"The only problem with using nootkatensis is that you loose some of the cold hardiness potential of Microbiota"

Do you have any evidence that Cupressus nootkatensis is less cold-hardy than Microbiota? I'd doubt that there's much (if any) difference - remember Cupressus nootkatensis occurs north to 61�N in Alaska, whereas Microbiota is only at 43�N (same as Florence, and Marseille!).

Resin

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 5:58PM

That's why I like the nootka and Microbiota combination very much, both are very winterhardy :0)

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 6:06PM
More Discussions
Dawn Redwoods side by side
When I purchased a two foot 'Ogon' Dawn Redwood I decided...
mikebotann
Pseudotsuga macrocarpa photo
A photo of my pseudotsuga macrocarpa
bluethuja
Found a giant!
Found this guy while driving through town! Looks pretty...
treeguy_ny USDA z6a WNY
A question for the grafters among you
Hi,with experience,I've realised the main hurdle to...
gary77788
Test
Test
bamboo_nuts
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™