update on my experiments

pnbrownFebruary 2, 2012

Hi folks,

So I am back to the dry sand highlands. I was here last year for 7 weeks during that hot dry spell in late march early april, and planted all kinds of crops in various situations to see what would carry on with little or no attention.

The sweet potatoes, which I put the most effort into, were eaten over the summer by deer. The few that were left, probably because the foliage was less mineralized and thus less attractive, were planted in ridges of mostly sand. The tubers were very dried out, something that hasn't happened before. I surmise that the ridges get much too dry and desiccate the tubers after many months post-rain. I will plant on the flat in future.

Certain legumes were quite successful grown in lightly-amended sand with a mulch of rotted bark on top. The bark was fortified lightly with various mineral salts. Limas were inoculated with cowpea rhizobia, less ideal supposedly than standard bean/pea rhizobia but nevertheless results were very good. large quantities of dry limas which cook up very nicely and extremely flavorful. Some short-season pigeon peas performed very well also in similar conditions. Typical type cowpeas made little dry seed and what did was degraded to inedible. A small self-seeding no-name cowpea that I received from a florida permaculturalist did very well, however, super prolific. This is somewhat laborious to gather but fairly easy to shell. Pigeon peas are opposite, easy to gather and a lot of work to shell. A shelling machine is needed. Limas are fairly easy to gather and easy to shell.

Millet proved to be an excellent cover crop, along with the locally naturalized hairy indigo which became massive in mineralized areas, to some extent suppressing weeds and grass. Consequently now there is an opportunity to undersow some climbing cooler-weather crop like english peas, and irish potatoes can take advantage of ground enriched by long-season legumes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ibarbidahl(9 (tampa-ish))

Hmmm... sound slike you should move those sweet taters under the cover of the millet? Anway anything that you get after leaving that long sounds like a fantastic bonus to me! Congrats!

Barbie

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 12:13PM
pnbrown

Interesting idea, hadn't thought of that. Hard to say which would smother the other, or perhaps they would be about equal. Some such interactions will occur by happenstance. Someone told me today that millet and some grasses can be good companions.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 2:09PM
zzackey(8b GA)

I didn't know millet would grow here. Is this the kind I can feed to the birds? Where do you buy the seeds?

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 4:46PM
amberroses(10a)

It seems you are trying to grow a survivalist garden of sorts? Sorghum did well for me this summer. I used the popping kind.

Bookmark   February 3, 2012 at 7:06PM
pnbrown

Yes, millet grew very well. Unfortunately I can't remember the variety and "millet" is a big group. Maybe just try planting some birdseed.

I am trying to create a self-sufficient food permaculture. I tried the syrup sorghum which did poorly, but I knew that it probably need richer ground than what I have. So far, in addition to certain tree crops, the star players are various key legume cultivars, millet, sweet potato and some self-seeding mustards. Bamboo needs to get in play, and I would like to try some cassava cultivars.

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 3:32PM
More Discussions
Bouganvilla come back from roots after freeze?
Does bouganvilla ever come back from the roots after...
love_the_yard
To garyfla_gw, need help
garyfla_gw can you contact me @ coowpoow@gmail. I have...
halfwaythere1
winter squash a winner
Winter Squash is a highly nutritious and alkaline food...
gardencraze
Would like to try growing roses.
I have a place in front of my home where I would like...
marilyn_fl
Sponsored Products
Elite Satin Nickel 84 to 156 Inch Decorative Traverse Rod w/ Rings Imperial Fini
$161.95 | Bellacor
Surya Clifton CLF-1022 3'3" x 5'3" Green, Neutral Rug
$309.00 | PlushRugs
Surya Nomadic Kilim NMD-709 Rug
Beyond Stores
Abbyson Living Montego Tufted Black Leather Full Platform Bed
$459.99 | LuxeDecor
Standard Floral Sham - WHITE/ FLORAL (STANDARD)
$79.90 | Horchow
British Colonial Outdoor Daybed Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Siam Chocolate 8 ft. x 10 ft. 6
Home Depot
'As for Me & My House' Wrapped Canvas
$12.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™