A somewhat soggy Sunday of blooms (photos)

shive(6b TN)June 10, 2012

We had a bit of rain early this morning, so I slept in and took pictures at about 10. Most of the blooms were covered with raindrops, and some had waterspotted.

KENTUCKY LUCKY, a late bloomer by John Rice, had its ffo today.

WARRIOR VICTORIOUS, an EM bloomer, also had its ffo. It's strange because most daylilies bloomed 2-3 weeks early, but some, like this one, are pretty much on schedule.

FABERGE EASTER - I planted this one after it had already put up a scape, and most of the blooms have been small and splotchy. This is the first good one.

WILD RED HEART

ANNABELLE'S BLUSH has more buds and bigger blooms than I've seen in the past.

ORCHID ELEGANCE and WINTER TREASURE in the blue and white bed are among my top performers this season.

Here's a look at WONDER OF IT ALL with the other side of the ORCHID ELEGANCE clump.

And down below, WONDER OF IT ALL with CERULEAN WARBLER.

SUGAR MAGNOLIA, looking more vibrant than usual

VENUS'S FIRE, which always looks vibrant!

BLUSH OF EMERALD

Blue Stocking monarda

BUNNY EARS - I always thought this was FAD GADGET, since that's what the tag said. I bought FG and BE from Judy Davisson the same fall. The one labeled Bunny Ears died. Several people told me they didn't think this was Fad Gadget because of the color, and I wondered why the flowers and scapes were so much smaller than they were supposed to be, even after I thinned Westerbourne Good Old Days so it could get more sun. So, since the flower size, scape height and bloom time match Bunny Ears, I've decided that's what it is.

Debra

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

Bunny Ears is pretty. I always love clumps, and Wild Red Heart and Sugar Magnolia are very pretty. But Faberge Easter is really beautiful. that is my pick, and I may have to add that one to my garden.
kay

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 3:15PM
lisa_3(5)

I like Wild Red Heart best here, though they are all nice.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 3:20PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Love the clump of ORCHID ELEGANCE in both pictures. It is my favorite! Really like KENTUCKY LUCKY also and late bloomers are always a good addition to the garden.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 3:35PM
Waitforspring(6 MA)

Hasrd to pick favorites from your pictures because every one of them looks fabulous. I do think Kentucky Lucky is very elegant looking and like the green cast on Blush of Emerald, but those clump pictures of Orchid Elegance blow me away.
Val

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 4:31PM
anniegolden(z7a)

I enjoyed the trip through your garden starting with that great clump of Orchid Elegance and Winter Treasure and ending with Cerulean Warbler. Made me contemplate how we could get video onto this forum!!!
Christine

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 5:05PM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

Well, They are all just gorgeous, but, my very faavorite bloom is WONDER OF IT ALL.its so beautiful, just have to make it number one, but my second choice is FABERGE EASTER., just beautiful blooms today.

jean

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 5:11PM
shive(6b TN)

Kay and Jean - I think once Faberge Easter settles in, it will be a real stunner. It has clearer colors and fancier edge than a lot of the other applique cultivars.

Christine, Val and Rita - Orchid Elegance has put on a wonderful clump show for the past week, and it has several rebloom scapes on the way. I think it looks nice with either of the near whites.

Lisa - Wild Red Heart is one of my favorites. It used to have a lot more buds, but it gets shaded out by its neighbors now.

Rita and Val - I like the peach look of Kentucky Lucky. The photo on the Rice's website made it look more yellow. In its first season to bloom, it has short scapes. I look forward to it being a lot taller and better budded in future years.

Jean - The flowers that DO open on Wonder of It All are truly wonderful. It's a nice clump now, but there are always more flowers that don't open, than do. I think it needs to be where it gets all day sun for all the blooms to open. The corner of the clump gets early morning sun, and those blooms alway open right up. The part that doesn't get sun until 9 a.m. has the most flowers that hang up.

Debra

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 6:34PM
mizellie(z7 Al)

Wonder Of It All & Orchid Elegance really got my attention. What a nice photo and they look really great together. I also like Warrior Victorious. Very beautiful. Speaking of soggy, I can barely walk in my garden it's so muddy. I am not complaining though as we needed the rain badly...Ellie

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 7:54PM
shive(6b TN)

Ellie - I bet you have gotten barrels of rain this weekend. Don't get stuck in all that mud. I bet all this rain will give you tons of rebloom!

Debra

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 8:50PM
Nancy zone 6

That is one beautiful clump of Orchid Elegance, my very favorite photo here. Wonder of it All is really big, isn't it, very impressive. I like the look of Faberge easter, very unique & lovely. Wild Red Heart is another one that really catches my eye, but your daylilies are all so lovely, hard to pick a fav.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 9:04PM
mantis__oh

I wish we'd see raindrops on flowers here. One of the ugliest beginnings to a season in my memory. Small, stunted flowers from excessive heat and then cold nights.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 11:27PM
Maryl zone 7a

What a great collection of beauties. Wonder of It All just looks marvelous, and I also found that bloom of Kentucky Lucky to be especially pretty. My favorite group photo is of Winter Wonder and Orchid Elegance. So enabling....Maryl

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 1:11AM
houstmag

All are looking good with their coats of raindrops, my favorite is Kentucky Lucky.
Linda

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 8:05AM
Cindy zone 6a

Your group pictures are awesome! Wild Red Heart is an eye catcher, I do like that one.
Cindy

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 9:40AM
sann777

I love all your pictures, especiaLLY the clump shots. That one of Orchid Elegance and Winter Treasure is very pretty. That pic of WOIA is great. Thanks for posting. Sarah

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 11:26AM
Julia NY(6)

WILD RED HEART is so pretty. KENTUCKY LUCKY I just got this spring from Annette. Your pic reminds me alot of a shorter version of Curt's TEMPORARY AND ETERNAL. We shall see what it looks like here when it blooms.
ORCHID ELEGANCE looks great with WINTER TREASURE.

Julia

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 12:56PM
shive(6b TN)

Mantis - Good to see your post, but sorry to hear about how your weather has affected your plants. Mother Nature has thrown us all some curves this year.

Julia - I'm very happy with the way Kentucky Lucky opened, but it's still cool here. It may look a lot different when things go back to our usual 90-degree summer temps.

Debra

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Joan Derifield or Man of Sorrows
I would love to have both of these, but I'm thinking...
ruthz
Looking better...Knee and Spring's Arrival
January 10th, while walking across a level floor, carrying...
organic_kitten
Seedlings that you can't wait to see how they do this year
We all have some seedlings that we can't wait to see...
dragonflypond
Those wonderful "W" daylilies, let's see them!
We would like to see all of the wonderfyl W dsylilies!...
sherrygirl zone5
What are you most looking forward to this spring?
I know just having winter and all the aggravation it...
organic_kitten
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™