What to do about suckers?

lonmower(zone8 Western Oregon)August 25, 2011

We have two very mature Kadota trees. I am a renter, but have lived on this property for seven years and I have been cutting back suckers during that time. The landlord now wants to let the suckers go. I have no idea what the outcome of this will be. Can someone help with this, please?

Separately...if I wanted to propagate from suckers...when is the best time of the year to do this? If I dig the suckers will I get some roots also, and just put them in pots? I have an unheated greenhouse in which they could over-winter.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
timmy2green

Lon,
I grew a couple trees from suckers earlier this summer, here is what you do...
Gently remove the soil from around the sucker, trying not to break off the roots growing from the sucker, until you reach the point where it meets the main trunk. If there are some roots on the sucker beneath soil level then you can sever the sucker with a sharp and clean pair of pruning sheers right where it meets the main trunk. Then just pot the sucker with it's roots in a small pot with some loose soil, water it very slightly if the soil isn't wet and put it in a shady area where it can establish a full root system. When I did it, the leaves shriveled almost immediately, so i trimmed them off and waited and after a couple weeks or so it put out new growth. The key to remember is it won't have much in the way of roots so if the soil doesn't drain good it will root rot because there's no root system to soak up all the water yet. If it was me, I'd go ahead and try it now, especially since you're in a warmer climate then me. Good luck!
Timothy

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 6:54PM
l_james(mo5)

Rooting cuttings is so easy I wouldn't bother digging out suckers.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 12:56AM
wildforager(5b-WI)

If you're not comfortable digging out the suckers I would air layer them for best results. Just do a google image search to familiarize yourself with the concept. You'll have fun and learn more about plant propagation!!

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 5:13PM
PlantsofTurkey

multi graft?

Thanks,

Nazmi Cardak

Nazmi Ali Cardak

Bookmark   September 4, 2011 at 1:54AM
More Discussions
I am new here, Mathew from New York
Hi All, I just got interested in Figs and am just starting...
mat9
Best fig tree for Piedmont-SC?
Hi, I have a sunny front yard with some space. I would...
okyard1980
I am Phil from Northern Ohio.
I am here amongst many very good fig friends and I...
peak42
Need to find a fig company
Hi together, i ´m new here and my first question is,...
depequ
the f4f forum
I hope the folks leaving f4f will come here as I will...
mgginva
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™