How to transplant small palm trees

johnh6789February 6, 2013

Hi All,

I have a few Palm Trees of various type, ranging in sive from ankle high to waist high, which I'd like to transplant to a different area. Anyone have suggestions as to how this is done best? All the trees were planted roughly 6 mo. to 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F

I don't know about all palms, but I had three pygmy dates (Phoenix roebelinii) planted on the north side of my house. I had put them in last March or April and had to move them come September when I realized they would be deep in shadow and open to the cold NW winds. So about 5-6 months in-ground. When it came time to move them I dug a hole about twice the diameter of the plant, so if from center of the palm to the end of the fronds was 8 inches, I dug at 16 inches. After 'slicing' the shovel deep around the entire circumference of the palm, I went back around and this time I gently levered upward as I went. As I did this, a few times I felt a 'pop' in the handle of the shovel and figured this was roots snapping and it made me cringe a bit. But once I got the entire root ball up out of the soil, the tap roots were there, dangling from the bottom. So I guess the popping was the ground releasing the roots.

I probably could have then transfered the entire root ball to the new location for the palms, but instead I sat each palm (which was actually a cluster of three palms, so nine palms total) in their own 5 gallon bucket with rainwater to loosen the soil and clean the roots. They sat like this for about a day. I then pulled them from the buckets and removed as much of the soil as possible from the roots, effectively bare-rooting them, though I expect a professional would say there was way too much soil left on the roots to be truly bare-rooted. I pretty much used a bag of MG Palm, Cactus and Citrus soil per clump of palms in their new locations and watered well with rainwater of the next couple of months.

As of today, all three clumps of palms are looking good, though a little frost-nipped.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 8:41AM
thetradition(9b)

Transplanting palms is easier than most other plant species. Check the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep001

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 1:20PM
johnh6789

Thanks for the replies all. It doesn't seem like I should have much issue then.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Caladium bulbs: 3 for $1 at Ace Hardware
Some of the Ace Hardwares here in Jacksonville had...
love_the_yard
How mad would you get if
How mad would you get if someone walked up to a plant...
SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
Questions on Coffee Grounds
A friend of mine told me her neighbor suggested she...
manature
Lubbers!!!
I can't believe it, I've got lubbers hatching today....
katkin_gw
Mosaic Wall - yet another garden project...
Lots of people saw this project in it's very early...
solstice98
Sponsored Products
Foscarini | Esa Grande Table Lamp
YLiving.com
AF Lighting Candice Olson Casby Table Lamp - Nickel - 7907-TL
$433.50 | Hayneedle
Wall Garden Trellis
Grandin Road
Sasha II Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Fixture with Blue Cloud Glass
$432.00 | Bellacor
Rhinecliff Table Lamp
Lightology