Air layering cherry sucker

sengyanAugust 29, 2008

I air-layered a cherry sucker to use as a rootstock in May. I had to air-layer to get it to root because it is growing from a 6 inch diameter root. I had tried burying the bottom 3 inches of the sucker with dirt to induce it to root but without success. A few days ago it dropped some leaves. Today all remaining leaves are limp. I removed the leave mulch but could not see any roots. I think it is dying/dead. Has anyone been successful with this method of propagation or has a suggestion as to how to get the sucker to root? Please advise.

Sengyan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Have never done air on cherries.
I sometimes dig up Evans or pin cherry suckers in spring and transplant, they grow well.
I don't quiet understand your approach, think you have asked ones before and I suggest
to cut the large root half way thru and wait for one or two season's cut some more and you
should have new smaller roots coming out at the cut.

Konrad

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 12:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sengyan

Thank you Konrad for your advice. Unfortunately I am in a hurry and 2 to 3 years to cut through the large root is too long a time. You are right, I've asked this before. I did not get any advice except from you and so I thought I would ask again hoping to have some answers.

Sengyan

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
Anyone Growing Peaches in the far north??
Hi, I bought two contender peach trees last year. Everyone...
troman1973
Mushrooms...help needed
Ok, while they are not holding me to it, the local...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
Reine des Violettes
Hi, I was wondering if anyone who has been growing...
true_blue
plant swapping in Manitoba
Hi all~ Blustery winter day throughout Manitoba......
bratwithcat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™