water staying on top of soil

ellie_1(ZONE 5)July 7, 2010

i have never had this problem... the water takes a while to soak in. With all the heat and no rain I am wondering just what is the problem. Any ideas as to what to do...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
on_greenthumb

The water doesn't soak in when the soil is very dry and the water can't penetrate. I get the same thing when its hot out and the soil is so dry. I water it and then water it again - the first round of watering will help the soil absorb more water (because it's not so dry) the next round.

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 8:24PM
mystic_dragon72(6b)

We're having the same problem here.. we just water a little at a time and often, giving each place a chance to soak in and then going over it again and adding more. That's easy to do when you have a small garden though... not so when it's large.

ttfn
Cheryl.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 12:44AM
lavender_lass(4b)

Do you have clay soil? I water my garden every few days, but when it's hot, the first time the water is on the soil, it just pools on top. After a while, it will soak in, but it takes a bit for the soil to absorb the water.

I hope you all get a break from these high temperatures soon :)

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 1:04AM
ellie_1(ZONE 5)

Thanks for your help, gardeners. I followed your advice about watering and then going back and watering again and that is just what happened. It is now soaking in... just another strange weather issue!

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 11:48AM
ianna(Z5b)

the soil is compacted. Although the water is penetrating now, try to break it up and add some compost.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning cottagers! Do you remember how I was bemoaning...
cyn427
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardener_nc7b
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
Backyard birding
Last fall i had posted that i was having trouble attracting...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Aftermidnight (and others please) question
Hi Annette, I am finding this Houzz hard to navigate...
duncandotty
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™