Buys of the WeeK!

debbiecz3(z3MB)August 25, 2008

Always looking for good deals even though I have little space for plants! Today I picked up geraneum Rozanne and pink Dictamus (one I have wanted for quite some time) for a total of less than $7. What other deals have people found?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sherwood Botsford(3a)

I have a 10' benjamin fig in my dining room. He was 99 cents at Revy. Of course that was 20 years ago in a 4 inch pot!

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 6:25PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

This is a good deal at the wrong time. I was moaning away this spring about there being no seed-starting mix anywhere. Walmart now has bags of it on sale two for $5. I guess it doesn't go bad, eh? LOL I bought two last week, but i'm going back tomorrow to see if it's still there and get a few more.

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 10:47PM
kioni(3)

Thanks Marcia. I go to our local Wal*Mart tomorrow, I will check their gardening section, maybe they've got some left (hope).

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 11:00PM
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

About a month ago Rona has all the remaining outdoor plants 75% off. I brought a one-gallon clematis vitacela alba luxurians for $3. The rest of the plants were pretty 'distressed' though and didn't look that great, even for a bargain price. (Brown and dried out cedars aren't really a good seller.)

I find it humorous that stores are still trying to sell, in August, small flats with celery plants, tomatoes, peppers,even pumpkin vines, etc. Obviously those plants are pretty stressed from being stuck in a tiny pot all summer, not to mention the fact that it's August and they likely can't produce much by the time frost comes, even if you baby them.

Glen

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 10:28PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Trouble is, the people who work in the garden centres of stores like Walmart and Rona rarely have a clue about plants. Once i phoned one place asking if they had any kohlrabi and they asked if it was an annual or perennial! LOL

Kioni, i think it just might be our Walmart that suddenly found all their seed-starting mix. Maybe not - maybe all the Walmarts figure fall is a good time of year to start petunias!

I've ignored most of the plant sales because i simply have no more room. Of course, now i have to figure out how to make some! :)

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 2:37PM
stanly(Z03)

Our Walmart here is doing a major add on so things are a mess. Last week I bought 30 bags of $5.29 potting mix for $2.00 a bag and 20 bags of cow manure for $1.00 each

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 3:52PM
garden_chicken(3b)

I just picked up 2 Semps, 4" pots @ Canadian Tire, paid just $1.24 for the two of them! All their remaining greenhouse stock including trees & shrubs is 75% off. Not much worth looking at, most of it is on it's last legs (surprise) but the sempervivums were looking pretty good, especially for that price!

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Has anyone tried bale gardens?
Due to my rampant quack grass this summer I took out...
CLBlakey
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Raspberries for zone 4
Hi Far N gardeners, I'm not exactly "far"...
eatsivy
Cedars or Junipers for St Paul, AB
Hello everyone, I am writing to see what everyone thinks...
Eclipse Landscaping
Sponsored Products
Radiax 3000K 10-Degree 3-Watt LED Beach Spot Light
Lamps Plus
Daytona 63" Double Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Cherry w/ Drawers
Modern Bathroom
Westwood Cherry Laptop Desk
Overstock.com
ET2 Inca Web 7 3/4" Wide Polished Chrome Wall Sconce
Euro Style Lighting
Stickbulb | 3 Foot Horizontal Wall Sconce
$995.00 | YLighting
George Nelson Bubble Pendant - Apple - George Nelson, Modernica
$329.00 | HORNE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™